Coupler box change out

Russian

Saskatoon railfan
I keep hearing of people changing their coupler types, but am myselkf unable to do it. All I want to do is open the coupler box and chang the coupler types from type A to B. Yet to coupler box doesn't seem openable...

What's your technique? Please help!

Roman,

The first issue is who makes the car you are trying to change the coupler in? The second issue is what type of coupler are you changing from to?

Bob

My friend who sold it to me says its Athearn, but the couplers aren't the standard Athearn type...

I'm going from the Kadee couplers it has to X2F (horn hook), so that it could coupler yup to the rest of my fleet.

Roman,

should be able to tell with a metal clip covering the box that houses the coupler. I usually take a very small flat head screw driver and slide it in on the outside of the box, just a bit to catch it, and just give it a twist. That should free it up. The Kadee's should be an easy replacement after that with a little bit of graphite and some clean up of the coupler end that sits in the box with a file to make sure that if fits in the spring corretly.

Back