Counting layout attempts.

Joe Daddy

C & SF, my obsession
OK,
I am working on my 3rd layout attempt, each of the first two got to where the track was laid, trains running and working on the scenery. I started counting when I returned to the hobby in Nov 2005.

Larry says he is starting on his 7th, Super Mouse 2 & 3. Well, I guess it all depends upon how you count them. When I was a youngster, I built 2 or 3 layouts and when I was involved in the hobby in the 70's there were two more, do those earlier layouts count? I don't think so, but I just wondered what you think? :)

Joe

To me, a layout is a layout, no matter how much track was laid or scenery was installed. My 1st layout was 8 by 22ft in 1961. Back then there were hardly any RTR cars or loco's. Almost everything was in kit form & a lot of it was cardboard & metal. That layout was in Miami, Fl.
The 2nd layout was in Miami, Fl. & was only 4 by 8ft & I only had track laid, no scenery or buildings. One engine & about 8 cars. I lived in a very small apartment.
3rd layout was in Arcadia, Fl & was 10ft by 14ft.
4th layout in Arcadia & was 12 by 21 ft. That layout is when I started doing a lot of scenery work & lots of track switching.
5th to the 6th just got bigger & bigger.
So, just like I said, A layout is a Layout.
As long as it's started you get the experience to start another, another, etc.
I think the person that takes the time to build his DREAM, never stops Dreaming of that better layout down the tracks of eternity.

Larry

Oftentimes the layout you currently have does not resemble the one you started out with (track plan-wise) but it occupies the same space, and gradually morphed into its current state over many years. This is true of the layout I had in the basement of my previous home.

The important thing to me is not the number of layouts I have or haven't had, but rather what new skills have I acquired from the various projects I've done on them.

Oftentimes the layout you currently have does not resemble the one you started out with (track plan-wise) but it occupies the same space, and gradually morphed into its current state over many years. This is true of the layout I had in the basement of my previous home.

The important thing to me is not the number of layouts I have or haven't had, but rather what new skills have I acquired from the various projects I've done on them.

Ken,
You are right on, certainly a single layout could be considered a dozen different ones, all you have to do is look at the pictures I take and I see how stuff changes, often radically. Reflecting on your statements, the typical change is a reflection of new skills learned, goals clarified or intentions better met.

Good thoughts!

Joe

I've always assumed you don't consider it a new one unless you've stripped it all down to plywood and started over. The gradual morphing would be "layout N, revision N", king of like computer tech, V3.2, V4.1, ect.

I'm on #2, #3 if I pick up a temp layout that I found on craigslist.

Back