Cotton mills?

kylewoody

Hey guys,

Never really known much about them (before my time), but how could one be incorporated into a layout, with say - a 1940s-50s timeframe?

Would they be rail-served? If yes, how so? Cotton shipped in with boxcars, yarn and fabric shipped out?

Thanks!
Kyle

If you're in Atlanta, you should try exploring around Newnan, Lagrange, and any town with "Mill" in the name in western Georgia. My memory of the area is not all that clear, but I do remember driving through several towns with mills and crossing kudzu-enclosed railroad rights-of-way. I'm sure more than a few of the textile mills out there are shut down by now, but you can probably find plenty of good information by pounding the ground.

Ask Grande Man about digging into the history of steel mills in Alabama. His early posts on the subject quickly went from casual interest to the voice of historical authority. The research itself is addictive, and your location makes it possible for you to get much of the information you want simply by exploring, photographing and asking around these towns.

Well, here in my little corner of Texas, cotton was one of the biggest commodities that was transported on the San Antonio & Aransas Pass RR. Cotton was picked in the fields and dumped into large trailers and then transported to the gin. At the gin the cotton was processed and baled into large rectangular bales. Gins were conveniently placed around an area, with each serving several large farms. Gins were basic buildings, usually rectangular in shape and at least two stories tall with an attached unloading shed where the trailers were pulled into and emptied. There was usually a covered shed, usually open on all sides but sometimes had a one two or maybe even three sides enclosed. These sheds were used to house the finished bales for a short period of time. The gin also had a lot of duct work the lead to dust collectors mounted on one side of the building. Another item collected from the cottom boll besides the cotton fiber is the cotton seed hulls. These were transported to feed mills to be used in the manufacuter of cattle feed.

From the cotton gin the finished bales, at least here in my area were transported to a collection point. This collection point usually serviced several gins. The collection point here where I live was several long warehouses, probably 60 ft or so wide by 200 ft or more long. They were either pier and beam construction or placed on concrete foundations that were at boxcar loading height. There is one long loading dock that contected to the end of all the warehouse buildings with a loading siding next to it. There was also a boxcar storage siling next to it. The only other building on site was a small, maybe 30 by 40 metal office building. From here the bales were stored until ready to be shipped to the textile mills. Loading was done onto boxcars.

The collection point at least here in my area was the only part of the cotton process that was rail served. From the field to the gin to the collection point was all handled, by trucks during the 40 and 50's, horse drawn wagons before the that. Of course, this could be different in areas that produced larger volumes of cotton. I'm sure rail service was more prevalent.

Sadly, this has all gone by the wayside here were I live. There was a bool weavil infestation that killed the cotton industry here in our area and it never has come back. As well the harvesting and processing has changed in favor of larger economics and what little cotton is grown here is transported a long way for processing and therefore there is no need for the gins or the collection point. All the gins stand in decay and the collection point is virtually abandoned.

Prattville had not only cotton mills and textile factories but still has one of the largest (and oldest) cotton gin factories in the world. The gin factory, the textile factory, and cotton mill were all located adjacent to each other and were served by a spur from the L&N, later to become the GM&O. The GM&O pulled up their tracks in the early 60's. The cotton mill and textile factory both burned to the ground in the 1992. The gin mill is still operating but just barely escaped being closed last year. The attached picture is the Continental Gin Factory in about 1951. You can see the GM&O trestle that went across Autauga Creek to the factory and the dam upstream, that originally provided power to the turbines that ran the factory. Parts of the factory date from 1832 and it's a national landmark now.

pratt_1.jpg

Thanks guys!

I headed over to the abanndoned one here in Douglasville, GA and took some photos. It was a Georgia Western mill, and from I understand, a "Praray" design, with the triangular walls. It was made in the late 1890s, and has been inactive for over thirty years, falling apart rapidly.

Here's the first photo, and you can see where there used to be tracks. It appears the wooden additional structure was added after they stopped using trains and switched to trucks (probably in the 50s-60s?)

3473412199_3fd8a30908_o.jpg

This next shot is the south side of the building - the previous photo above was taken just out of frame to the left, on the end of the structure looking back east.

3474221190_d10b157261_o.jpg

Here is the inside of the first floor - disrepair, and cave-ins are all through this building. I was standing inside the entrance, that is on the left side of the above photo... where the yellow handrails are.

3473412615_8bd73f03a0_o.jpg

Just a little further east down the side of the building, and those same east/west tracks can be seen - maybe going to recieving or shipping? Not sure how the trains would work?

3474221258_34f6b559b3_o.jpg

And last, is even further east, right down the side of the structure. Not sure what this is, perhaps loading/unloading?

3474221280_0fb60322db_o.jpg

Here is an overall view of the facility, and I noted in chronological order where each photo was taken. Any input on them?

3474330608_bb88d324b8_o.jpg

Thanks!
Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, that cotten, gin and textile mill complex in the drawing would be the coolest model railroad industry kitbash ever... wouldnt it be great if someone modeld it for their layout? That would be a real industrial scene.

Kyle, there's a good article about this mill at http://www.losinggeorgia.com/2006/12/29/losing-the-historic-praray-mill-part-1/. It looks like the building was in use until at least 1990 and abandoned since then. It's really unfortaunate that the structure is in such terrible shape since this is one of only two Praray designed structures still standing. Before the subsequent owners bricked up the windows, the whole area between the triangular beams was windows, which allowed more light into the factory than with flat walls. The Douglasville City Council removed the historic designation from the structure in 2005 so I assume it will sone be demolished...or collapse, give its current state.

It appears that this was always a spinning mill, that took in raw cotton and spun it into cloth and other textiles. Looking at the site with Goole Earth, the rail sevice must have come off the track still running next to Bankhead Highway, just across from the mill. It looks like the spur came off the tracks to the left side of the building in your last photo. Baled cotton would have been the most likely product and finished goods would have been shipped out. I don't know when rail service stopped but that addition to the mill at the top left is very recent, probably from the 50's, and after rail service stopped. It looks like it was built right over where the tracks ran. That more modern section was probably a truck yard and receiving/shipping facility.

The best thing to do to start your research would be to contact the Historical Society of Douglas County at 770.949.2787 and see if they have any historic pictures. Given the size and uniqueness of the mill, I'm betting they do. Our local historical society had lots of infromation on the Pratt gin factory and various mills and factories in the area.

Todd, that's just the gin factory! The cotton mill and textile plants were on the other side of the creek, at the bottom, where you see the railroad trestle. Most of the buildings were constructed with dressed stone from local quarries. It was the largest industrial plant in the South up until the Civil War. When cotton was still king, the plant had a three track yard and a number of staging tracks for the raw materials needed to make cotton gins. It would make a great model.

Thanks Jim! It really is sad how fast it's gone downhill... I was just looking at some satellitte photos of it, and it was in much better shape when they were taken - probably not but 5 years ago or so. It was kind of creepy walking in and around that place!

I was reading that same article too on LosingGeorgia, interesting stuff. I was wondering though, would you know what the other structures were in that aerial photo?

There's a large building to the right of the water tower, with about two-thirds of it levelled, only foundation left. As well, what would be the purpose of that little building in the top left, and the retention pond/water tank?

I will see if I can get in contact with some local archived info as well, I know it's a respected icon in the town.

But so far, so good! Seems like I found out about how the track would have ran in there, so I might consider modelling this industry, instead of my grain silo on the Southern N scale layout... :)

Kyle

I was looking at those other features too, Kyle, and all I can do is guess. The plant had its own water supply, as evidenced by the water tower on the property. The mostly demolished structure to the right of the water tower was probably a later addition that housed the mechanicals for the factory as well as a water treament plant. The structure above the water tower looks like a pump house to pump waste water into the retention pond.

I don't have a clue about that long building above the pond. It looks like it may have been a storage and repair building, maybe used to store and repair trucks and machinery from the plant. You minght be able to get a better idea by looking at it on the ground.

My guess is that the plant used dyes in the manufacturing process. The pond is probably a retention/settling pond added during the 70's by EPA requirement. The waste water may have been treated on-site and the treated water pumped to the local water treatment facility or the waste material was removed by pumping into tank trucks and then sent to hazardous waste dumps.

The South, in general, has done a terrible job in retaining and restoring its industrial history. Except for a few bright spots, like the Red Mountain area of Birmingham, spearheaded by Eric, most of our industrial history is left to decay. If someone had simply spent a couple of hours a month keeping the roof drains clear, the roof would not have so many holes, since I'm sure they were caused by standing water. This building was a real gem at one time but it has now reached the point that I'm sure the structural integrity is in question now. Given the fact that the City Council removed the historic landmark status, I'm sure it will be gone soon and used for another strip mall or something like that. :mad:

Back