cost

• Thread starter southshorechuck
  • Start date

S

southshorechuck

hi everyone, i was talking to my model rr pals and we all agree that this hobby is going to price itself right out of reach for most people. i was wondering how all of you on this site feel about this subject.

Yes i agree that the prices are ridiculous on alot of model rr products! Im 29 now, when i was 14-15 i remember how cheap some products like track was now its crazy...

But like any hobby you gotta pay to play!
There is alot of things a modeler can do to be a budget modeler...

I wish prices would come dwn on items like flextrack, but it will never happen so i gotta just bite the bullet

I buy more at swap meets and watch for sales. I also recycle what I already have. I do feel some stuff has gotten too expensive, but that's because people are demanding more variety and scale fidelity. So that costs. Just can't have it both ways.

I will also agree that it seem that the hobby is getting a little more expensive. This is one of the reasons I rejected changing over to DCC. With the expense of the DCC (I would not purchase a basic unit as you get what you pay for) but would rather have a top of the line unit, and then there's the cost of the decoders for 30 plus locomotives, plus the time involved in the installation. I am lucky enough to have stockpiled many items years ago when the prices seemed a lot more reasonable. Before starting my layout I had a definite plan on what I wanted to build, and what I needed to build it.

I also enjoy scratchbuilding. I figure that I can build exactly what I need for about a quarter of what a kit could cost. Not having any hobby shops any where close by, I do spend time on ebay and have been able to make some excellent purchases sving a lot of money, and when I need something I can't find there, I shop on the internet where I can usually save 30 percent or more off of the retail price.

If I were having to start all over again, I think it would be a lot more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the "Please, let's beat this dead horse just one more time," icon?:rolleyes:

Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

It is not just inflation but the push by idiots like MR's editors to demand RTR museum type models. The prices are out of control.

hi everyone, i was talking to my model rr pals and we all agree that this hobby is going to price itself right out of reach for most people. i was wondering how all of you on this site feel about this subject.

Burn them all at the stake! J/K

It is not just inflation but the push by idiots like MR's editors to demand RTR museum type models. The prices are out of control.

Your kidding me right? You are blaming the magazine editors for this? Thats the first time I've ready anyone saying that before, and I thought I'd seen it all by now in forums.

ouengr, if you need to blame someone, blame me! Thats right, I love getting models with the prototypical details applied like the D&RGW nose gyra lights and snow plows etc. Yes, I am not a true modeler and am afraid to take expensive KATO's and wreck them trying to file the nose - and botch it, like I've seen in umpteen magazine photo's. Fry me for not being a real modeler, but I like the Atlas GP40-2's, the Athearn tunnel motors and SD45's with the details that scream SP or D&RGW. I imagine you'll have to get the torches and pitchforks out to run a few more like me out of town on a rail.

In the mean time, go to train shows and you can find plenty of kits and models that cost less and you can get the glue, x-acto knives and paint. Lots and lots of people are selling, new in the box, kits that they bought lots of and never had time to build.

Its BS like the drivel that MR publishes that make me have no respect for their opinions or taste in articles.

I'm sick of "how to weather your steam locos" where the author has never seen a working steam engine to know how the appliances leak, drip etc. I miss Mainline Modeler, and the older Model Railroad Craftsman, and Model Railroading.

With Bowser bailing on the kit steam engines, and the classic Athearn BB kits gone, where is the challenge? I will never be able to afford a fleet of 40+ of any cars without selling the house.

The plastic toy choo-choo's from MTH, BLI Athearn etc are horrid.

I laugh at the newbie's who have no skills, no patience and will spend much, have nothing that runs and they will give up. (GOOD RIDDANCE!) Reading doesn't seem to be a skill that many have. Plastic choo-choo collecting seems a boring hobby.

Burn them all at the stake! J/K

Your kidding me right? You are blaming the magazine editors for this? Thats the first time I've ready anyone saying that before, and I thought I'd seen it all by now in forums.

ouengr, if you need to blame someone, blame me! Thats right, I love getting models with the prototypical details applied like the D&RGW nose gyra lights and snow plows etc. Yes, I am not a true modeler and am afraid to take expensive KATO's and wreck them trying to file the nose - and botch it, like I've seen in umpteen magazine photo's. Fry me for not being a real modeler, but I like the Atlas GP40-2's, the Athearn tunnel motors and SD45's with the details that scream SP or D&RGW. I imagine you'll have to get the torches and pitchforks out to run a few more like me out of town on a rail.

In the mean time, go to train shows and you can find plenty of kits and models that cost less and you can get the glue, x-acto knives and paint. Lots and lots of people are selling, new in the box, kits that they bought lots of and never had time to build.

I believe that a lot of it can also be customer demand. There are a lot more modal railroad products available today than there was 20 or more years ago. Additional raod names for locomotives is one thing that comes to mind. When it comes to prototype railroads I am very interested in the Milwaukee Road and the Northern Pacific. Years back these road names were few and far between and I ended up having to custom paint locomotives for these roads, and now they are not uncommon. Another thing that comes to mind are the many locomotives that I see that are only available DCC equipped. I will not pay yhe extra price for these featurs as I am perfectly happy with my DC operation.

Even many common items such as freight care are increasing in price. Years back I knew I was coing to freelance my own railroad and picked up a large number of undecorated freight cars. Over the years I have custom painted many for my own railroad or have lettered them for railroads not readily available on the market at that time. Paying about $5 each at the time was a huge savings. I wouldn't want to think about it would cost me today to try to duplicate my rolling stock today.

If modelers aren't buying a product, manufacturers wouldn't be making it. The question for me is how much are modelers willing to pay ?

The plastic toy choo-choo's from MTH, BLI Athearn etc are horrid.

I laugh at the newbie's who have no skills, no patience and will spend much, have nothing that runs and they will give up. (GOOD RIDDANCE!) Reading doesn't seem to be a skill that many have. Plastic choo-choo collecting seems a boring hobby.

I don't own anything from MTH, but I like my California Zephyr choochoo trains from BLI and my Athearn tunnel motors, SD45's. The Genesis PC&F box cars and F units are nice. You must be stuck in a different era where you just don't need or model my time period.

Putting your nose in the air and laughing at noobs does nothing to promote the hobby or encourage newer hobbiests. We really could do with out that attitude.

I believe that a lot of it can also be customer demand. There are a lot more modal railroad products available today than there was 20 or more years ago. Additional raod names for locomotives is one thing that comes to mind. ... Another thing that comes to mind are the many locomotives that I see that are only available DCC equipped. I will not pay yhe extra price for these featurs as I am perfectly happy with my DC operation.

Yes, absolutely customer demand. Why make products if there isn't demand - basic economics and business. I have personally seen very few diesels in HO that were DCC only.

Even many common items such as freight care are increasing in price. I wouldn't want to think about it would cost me today to try to duplicate my rolling stock today.

The answer is you can probably go out and build a fleet of rolling stock for costs not much above what you originally paid - I go to train shows and see tons of kits from the 80's and 90's, much of which was probably over bought by modelers who never had time to build them all. Inexpensive kits ARE still available in quantity.

I for one and glad I can actually go out and buy rolling stock that matches freight cars in trains that ran in the 70's and 80's rather than just have stand-in or fantasy models. Most of what was sold prior to the last 10-15 years was often generic or incorrect. Now I have correct PC&F box cars and many others.

If modelers aren't buying a product, manufacturers wouldn't be making it. The question for me is how much are modelers willing to pay ?

How much are modelers willing to pay? Good question. Certainly as the prices get above $40 and more, it's going to only be one here or one there for me, not quantities. Thats why if a manufacturer offers a unit coal train car in a hyper detailed model, many of us simply won't be able to make a coal train as it would cost a fortune. Even the newer Genesis PC&F cars which are major to me, I only got a small number of and tried to pay 25-28 each discount. The new ExactRaail 62' centerbeam is going to be $46, an example of a model that is pushing most of us to the limit of affordability for even one or two of a freight car.

There is nothing whatsoever stopping those who relish a real challenge from milling their own metals, casting their own resin beds, and super-detailing anything in their fantasies if they deign not to spend their hard-earned cash on RTR or other partially completed items. However, some of us have other uses for our time, and while we still enjoy those other pastimes or interests, or even other obligations, we also like to be able to run something that closely resembles a scale locomotive of a type.

There is room for both types, and a number of others, in this and other hobbies. However, the same philosophy applies to those who market the items we buy in our varied pursuits, meaning the shrewd, and ultimately successful, business person will provide to the broadest range of prospective buyers what will part them from their cash. Succinctly, they follow the money. Just like in the auto industry, one markets what sells...or else.

sorry but i love MTH,ATHEARN ,BLI, KADEE, BACHMANN & any other vender that supplies my hobby :cool:

I believe that a lot of it can also be customer demand........

Even many common items such as freight care are increasing in price.......

It's all due to customer demand. If there was no market for the model, it wouldn't be made. If it doesn't sell for $xxx, then it will be discounted.

Back when, Athearn Yellow Box kits were $1.98 vs. Lionel 0 gauge 6464 series box cars @ $ 5.95, the daily rate of pay for a hostler on the PRR, was $25.11. So for a day's work after taxes, you could buy 3 Lionel 6464 box cars, or 9 Athearn Yellow box, (assemble the sprung trucks) car kits. Today's wages for those fortunate enough to have jobs, is significantly higher, but everything costs significantly more.

Bottom line is that the model railroad hobby has always been expensive in relation to average wages and income. The nice thing is that today, there is so much available, that you do not need to spend top dollar for a nice collection of stuff.

Joe

Back