Corrugated Siding

JazzDad

Gandy Dancer
I needed some corrugated (some call it tin) siding for a building. The stuff I could buy was almost as expensive as purchasing the real thing.

I salvaged the lid from a frozen lasagna pan. This is thicker than regular aluminum foil, but not as hard as trying to work a soda can. I laid the foil over some old Evergreen HO scale plastic siding, taping one end down to keep things aligned. I then ran a (ink depleted) ball point pen in each of the grooves. Afterward, I dragged the siding back & forth over the end of the workbench to get the warps out. I'm pretty pleased with the result. It took a bit of time, but was cheap, and I can make as much as I want - until the plastic siding wears out or I'm too fat from eating all that lasagna.

corr.JPG

I needed some corrugated (some call it tin) siding for a building. The stuff I could buy was almost as expensive as purchasing the real thing.

I salvaged the lid from a frozen lasagna pan. This is thicker than regular aluminum foil, but not as hard as trying to work a soda can. I laid the foil over some old Evergreen HO scale plastic siding, taping one end down to keep things aligned. I then ran a (ink depleted) ball point pen in each of the grooves. Afterward, I dragged the siding back & forth over the end of the workbench to get the warps out. I'm pretty pleased with the result. It took a bit of time, but was cheap, and I can make as much as I want - until the plastic siding wears out or I'm too fat from eating all that lasagna.
A toothbrush or a small brass wire brush in lieu of the ball point might speed things up . I used to use a paintbrush and siding with aluminum foil , but AL foil is thin and can tear .I was going try Aluminum tape ( its about the right thickness) and waxpaper , I m hoping that I can make corrugated tape siding .

The paintbrush and the aluminum works well for metalizing things like water tanks or duct work or even hydrocal signal boxes. I have one build that had plastic corrugated roof so I just brushed the Al foil over it.

It looks way better than plastic.

Back