Corrugated metal roof panel sizes

oplholik

I am going to be putting a corrugated metal roof on my N scale engine house. Are there standard sizes for large buildings? I looked on the internet for sizes and found one place that had 26" as a standard width, and 8', 10', and 12' lengths. For the width, that's only .162" in N scale. Wow, that's a lotta little pieces to cut. Thinking that for large buildings, maybe there are larger sizes. Maybe you can order whatever size you need? This will be a curved metal roof. Thanks.

Corrogated roof

Hi Op
From the little I know on the subject, I believe your 26" wide started out from a standard 36" coil of 22 gauge steel. The widest flat sheet I ever came across was 54" and that was very rare. 48" was pretty common.
I don't believe there is a mill in the world that could roll wider than 54" in sheet metal.
Steel plate is another matter.
Best of luck.
Mac

The 26" width is pretty much standard for the "wavy" / rounded metal sheets. The newer flat/angular styles sometimes come in 30" & occasionally 36" widths. Remember, with a 26" panel, only 24" is visible.
With good construction, the joints should be tight, so the width of the panels is much less noticeable than the length. In N scale, you could use long pieces with the corrugations running perpendicular and 8', 10, or 12' wide. Then, use paint or weathering with some masking to make it look like there are individual panels.

Well, just went ahead and did my own thing. Hope it doesn't look too far out. Hopefully get it all done for next weeks Photos.

Back