Correct couplers for a couple engines

vrdaddy1

Hi all,

I picked up a couple Proto 2000 engines for my dad and I need to figure out the correct Kadee couplers for them. I checked their conversion sheet and talked to a guy there, but I am still not sure exactly which coupler/s to get.

One is a Walthers Proto 2000 Southern Pacific E8/9 6051. Here is a link to a pic of the one I have.

The other is a Life-Like Proto 2000 GP7 Sante Fe 2678.

I am trying to find the correct front/rear couplers for both engines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike

EDIT: I had links to the engines so you guys could see what I had without searching, but when I tried to post it flagged it as spam, so I had to delete the links.

I have a Proto GP9, basically the same as a GP7, and use Kadee #158 couplers on it. I don't know about the E8, I don't think I've ever even seen one.

EDIT: I had links to the engines so you guys could see what I had without searching, but when I tried to post it flagged it as spam, so I had to delete the links.
Hmmm - were the links from Kadee or some other obscure place? I am guessing that the site is reading your links and considering the place you got them from/for to be the spam. Try searching for pics of the trains you have and post the picture/s instead of the links.

Website says it comes with Proto-max couplers so I would think #5 or #158 should work.
They come in two pairs so if you buy for your other loco you can try them on this one.

F26F8C82-07B1-4F24-BB69-4CACDE0FB1C9.gif

I looked at the E8/9 this morning to see what the coupler mounting brackets look like. I must have an old version because the guy at Kadee told me if the engine has cast on coupler boxes to use the new production couplers.

Mine does not have cast on coupler boxes.

Attached is the Kadee sheet for the coupler boxes I have. #33 for the rear. The front coupler is good.

Attachments

• Kadee EMD E-8_9 A Conversion.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 63
That's the correct engine. I will give those couplers a try.
Why would you want to replace the factory Proto-Max couplers with Kadees? Kadee's patent expired and Walther's just started producing them with their own name. They are essential identical other than the machine they came out of.

Oops, didn't read the next message in the thread before I posted. If it is an older LifeLike E8 sold by Walther's it is a totally different story. And yes #33 is your friend. Hope you can find them. They are no longer produced.

Why would you want to replace the factory Proto-Max couplers with Kadees? Kadee's patent expired and Walther's just started producing them with their own name. They are essential identical other than the machine they came out of.

Oops, didn't read the next message in the thread before I posted. If it is an older LifeLike E8 sold by Walther's it is a totally different story. And yes #33 is your friend. Hope you can find them. They are no longer produced.
Yes, older E8. Ordered #33's from Kadee. Followed the instructions and it installed fine.

I have found that the Kadee knockoffs are problematic. They Do not couple as well are prone to coming uncoupled in long trains. Stick with the Kadees.
While I with that concerning the plastic copies (Mc Henry, EZ-Mate, Yamix, etc.), I have found the Walther's Protomax to be equal to an actual Kadee in every way.

Back