Corn syrup company opinions needed

A2TwrOpr

I've got a decent sized chunk of empty space on the layout and can't think of what exactly do use the space for. So here are my thoughts. The lead to the grocery distributor is rather long and could support another industry of some type. Something small depth wise but it could be rather wide since the building will go up against the back drop. I got to thinking and figured maybe I could use the space for a corn syrup company that's rail served. The available space is long enough for two small tank cars and the boxcars that the grocery distributor will receive. Do you think I could get away with having a building that receives corn syrup? Or would it need tanks and all kind of of other items? I suppose the tanks could be located in the building (which means you won't see them). Does this sound like way too much artistic license? I don't have a picture of the area on my phone but can take one tomorrow once I get home from work to give you guys a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is your layout geographically located? If you're not in corn country, then what is the purpose of the plant? A soda manufacturer perhaps?

AllI know about corn syrup plants is the old Argo/Corn Products plant is about two miles away and the place is HUGE!

A fuel distributor could work. A few tankcars and some storage tanks, small or medium sized building. Receives by tankcars out by truck.

yguzarus.jpg

here's the fuel distributor on my layout. Would be easy to find all sorts of equipment, tanks, piping, etc.

Where is your layout geographically located? If you're not in corn country, then what is the purpose of the plant? A soda manufacturer perhaps?

My layout is modeled in Illinois. I've got 1 corn field so far and plan to have at least 1 more. I've also got a grain elevator so I could have cars go from the elevator to the corn syrup plant. That would add to the operations rather nicely.
I have kicking around the idea of getting rid of the grocery distributor altogether and making a decent sized corn syrup or some type of agriculture company there. Something that would take tank cars, covered hoppers or boxcars. It's a good sized space and having a larger company would mean more time switching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always Google Map your local area and see if there is a small rail served industry that you can fill the space with.

ate6yga4.jpg
Here's the area that I'm talking about to the right of the mainline. It was going to be the location of the grocery distributor. I'm sort of thinking this may be a good area for maybe another track and large building complex. One track could go into the building and the other track would parallel the wall for spotting box cars at loading doors. It would give anyone operating the layout lots to do in a small space.

Back