Container stacking question

stokesda

My other car is a 4-8-4
All right, all you intermodal experts out there...

I have several containers of various sizes and want to load up my double-stack well cars. I have a mix of standard height (8'6") and hi-cube (9'6") containers. Is there a rule about stacking hi-cubes on top of standard containers (or vice-versa)? Does it matter which one goes on top? I understand that for the prototype, the heavier load would go on bottom. But for the purpose of modeling, does it matter (assuming no double-stacking height restriction)?

I do know the longer ones go on top, and 20-footers always go on the bottom, but I haven't seen anything that mentions standard height vs. hi-cube.

Good website Jim, thanx for sharing!
As for stacking standard and hicubes, either can be on top but watch for clearances when you stack two hicubes as you mentioned. I found out I have a bridge restriction doing just that!
You are correct about twenty footers always going on the bottom. Lately I've seen 40's stacked on 48's or 53's, we never did that when I worked the yards.
I only loaded one oddity, a bulkhead container with a tractor on it. The tractor stuck up higher than the bulkhead ends so it had its own private car. They were going to top load it, that would have been something to see!

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I thought that it didn't matter which goes on top, but just wanted to make sure.

Back