Concrete ties

boatwrench

I was railfanning at my local passenger depot (Petaluma, CA) & old freight house team track area and noticed the use of concrete ties on the main except at the grade crossings and at the switches into the yard and old freight house spurs. The rails are shared between the commuter SMART DMUs during the day and freight trains switching the grain elevators that supply the dairies and chicken farms at night and early mornings. The three elevators in town usually have 6-8 covered hoppers on their spurs. The below photo is taken from the Northwestern Pacific webpage (photo credit Andrew Roth) and shows the different use of ties.

Is having concrete ties on the main line except the switches common? or just SMART / NWP practice?

NWP.jpg

I just Google Mapped over to a busy rail line and it seems to have concrete ties except on switches and some other installations I can't tell what they are. Some places also look like a combination of concrete and wood, look at the Spokane end of the BNSF bridge across Pend Orielle Lake in N Idaho. Follow it until you get to where the double track starts and look at the track away from the lake.

Directions are complicated there because a train headed west is actually going southeast and the west end of the bridge is farther east than the east end.

Interesting !! I will assume that the reason has to do with "replacement" since it seems that switches these days come ready to install like snaptrack?
"

Concrete switches are really expensive and very, very heavy. It is very common to install wood switches, especially if they are low speed switches. Many of the concrete switches are high speed #20 switches.

Interesting !! I will assume that the reason has to do with "replacement" since it seems that switches these days come ready to install like snaptrack?
"
Yes, I saw one like that being delivered to where the track was being replaced near my place on a frame on the deck of a flatcar a few years ago. That was on concrete ties like the new track. Being narrow gauge 42", not as bulky to handle I suppose. As I recall the track in this case itself was fed off other cars with the ties attached by the camlock method already, then a machine followed behind to embed the track by shaking it down into the ballast. More ballast was applied as it was tamped. The Prestressed concrete hollow beam bridge with trackbed channel, over the creek, was laid in the same manner. In other words, with ballast as well.

There are several answers to your original questions. Regarding grade crossings; in areas where salt is used on roads, concrete deteriorates more rapidly if it is sitting in a salty mush all winter long. On the roads themselves, rain or snow melt washes the salt away.
Concrete is too rigid to be used in most switching locations, especially in the south where there is no bedrock to lay the roadbed on. It works on main lines because there is a whole lot less stress there than under switches.

Concrete switch ties are VERY expensive. Switches have ties in increments of 6 inches. A switch might have 15-20 different length ties. With wood ties you just cut off the ties to the length, and then position the rails on the ties and spike them down.

With concrete ties, the mounting points are integral in the tie, so EVERY tie has to be a custom design for that specific tie. And since the mounting pads have to match the position and angle of the rail, a 12'6" tie from a #14 switch will not match a 12'6" tie from a #16 switch, so every tie of every number has to be individually designed and cast (not to mention a left hand switch tie is not the same as a right hand switch tie, so each hand switch needs a completely different set of ties).

If you have to replace a 12'6" tie in a wood switch, you take a 16' tie, use a chain saw and cut it down to size, remove the old tie, install the new tie and spike it down. If you have to replace a concrete switch tie you have to order that specific tie from that specific hand, of that specific frog number of that specific design of switch.

Concrete ties like big ballast. Concrete ties are great for curves where the rail needs to be replaced frequently (such as main line curves) because they rail attaches with clips and changing the rail doesn't affect the holding power. With wood ties, when you pull a spike there is a hole in the tie and then you have to fill it to get the spike to hold again. Wood ties are very forgiving in a derailment, many times they will just mark the ties and won't significantly damage the load bearing capacity of the tie. Derailed wheels gong across concrete ties will chip them and result in failure of the ties. A derailed car going across a mile of wood ties means changing a couple ties, a derailed car going across a mile of concrete ties means a tie gang replacing thousands of ties.

Last edited:
The concrete ties are heavy and require a special car where wood can be put in a gondola with a rack and can haul 2 at a time.

The concrete ties are heavy and require a special car where wood can be put in a gondola with a rack and can haul 2 at a time.
Are those prototype switches ElectroFrog(R) or InsulFrog(R)? :p

Back