Con-Cor Intermodal Cars

Chase55671

I was thinking about getting a few TTX con-cor flat cars that are 26 dollars. I know someone who owns a Con-Cor amtrak car and it looked like it was going to fall apart, but I was wondering if the intermodal cars are any better?

Chase

Well, as you may already know, Walthers 89' flats are going for about $25, which IMHO, is a great looking & running car; and Atlas' 89' pig is due to be released soon also. Now as for Con-Cor I can't speak for the flats, but I can certainly speak on their spines.

Long ago, my brother & I jointly bought a Con-Cor 10-car fuel-foiler spine kit. To date, I think it was the worst thing we ever did :eek: . It was weighted all wrong, with the weights located inside the spines instead of over the wheels, you couldn't run it midtrain and certainly NOT up front; it would have to be THEE VERY LAST car on the train (and if you run cabooses, it would need to be behind that too! *sighz*). Not only that (as if that's not bad enough), it wouldn't hold or balance for long any trailers other than Con-Cor's (most of which were totally unprototypical), and I still shudder to this day when I think of the nice, long, accordian it would make whenever we EVER decided to back up with it!!!:eek:

To be honest, I really hate to slam on a product like that; but OMG what a piece of crap!! *sighz*:mad:. Needless to say that it was the 1st and last Con-Cor car we ever invested in.

I can't speak for the flats, but the wells are fairly good. The only problem I have with the well is that the wheelset squeaks on the curve. I think it might need a little lubrication. I know walthers two packs of those flats are somewhere around 48 dollars, and the second run is going to be 28 for 1 and 52 for 2. Walthers cars are defintely better. And Athearn does some good ones as well. I bought a 5 pack of Athearn wells and they are superb. Not sure if A-line makes flats, but their wells are top of the line...you just got to have the moolah. That's my two cents.

Thanks guys for the replies! I think I will end up going with Walthers or Athearn because you can trust them 100%! If I get a con-cor and something goes wrong and I return it, my hobby shop might say I broke it so I'm going go with the Walthers. Thanks again for the replies!

Chase

LMAO @ "they might say I broke it"!!

Yeah Walthers and Athearn is the best bet. Plus, with the Walthers car you're getting a far better deal than with the Con-Cor car - a lot more for less. Oh and BTW, not only are the Athearn wells superb, but the same can be said for their Impack Spine. It runs smooth, and I haven't gotten a bit of problems out of mine. Incidently I also have a Walthers' spine, but I have yet to built it; but I've asked around and I haven't gotten any bad reviews on it; so hopefully it'll turn out ok *keeping fingers crossed*;) .

Back