Computer room Switching layout

Its comming out nice JOSH!, I don't know if I understood correctly, but are you not making any support under the foam modules?

If not I was thinking of you making a frame work of 2" x 1" white deal ( light in wieght ) framework, the shape of every foam module you have, so even when you need to connect them together you can have holes drilled through the wood and bolt them together and every module would have its own attached support, so it would remain steady even if you transport them. I would also suggest one or two mid supports according to the module lenght.

Since you are modeling the layout as modules, I thought it would be better for each module to have its own support.

Josh nice layout, but dont you model big modern deisels, like SD70MACS, SD70M's AC4400's ect. like i do? If you put one of those big deisels on a switching job it would be not right. lol, or will you add that to your bigger cajon pass layout you were talking about building?

thanks
Austin

As far as I can understand, the pictures that Josh is showing us only shows part of the full layout, which will eventually include the Cajon pass.

Correct me if I'm wrong Josh

Oh man seeing the layout designs for his cajon pass layout, what i would give to be one of the operators on that layout. Well i do live pretty close, hey maybe one day my wish will come true, lol. But man that sure would be awesome.

Austin

Actually, this layout here, is just for fun, until I get a house. I have to wait on the house due to a recent loan on an auto.

Yes, I do own a number of large units, but my number of 4 axle units grows daily as well. I have at least 20 now (4 axle units). The mainline of this layout is designed to be used as a photo setup so I can place the larger units there.

Maxi, as for the supports, the modules are self supporting, however, just in case, I've opted for the "H" design for the support area of the legs.

The legs are 100% independent of the modules, although I may opt to use a pin of some sort underneath to secure them temporarily. The whole layout is designed to be SUPER light, and super easy top move. The legs are 1x2 boards end wise, with a 1x2 base, and a 1x4 base between the modules (so each module rests on 2" of lumber). The center of the "H" would be the lengthwise brace, to keep the legs from moving independently of each other. They'll be secured with metal angle braces, so that when I move it, the center brace will completely detach.

View attachment 7781
This is what one of the leg sections looks like. This is an end leg, so it only has a 1x2 top, and only supports one end of an end module (the lower right corner). The center brace of the "H" will attach to the top brace of the leg section.

Heck that was confusing, I'll post pics this weekend, I'm going to Home Depot (hopefully its not too bad) to buy some corner brackets, and more Elmers Glue.

I'm going to Home Depot (hopefully its not too bad) to buy some corner brackets, and more Elmers Glue.

Since I work at a local hardware store, I think it would be beneficial to the slumping economy if you frequent your local store or builders supply (non-big box affiliated). Also I really like "TITE BOND II" wood glue. It holds great for frames. My 2 cents.

Now on to more important things.;)

Your layout plan is looking real good. For a "small", "just for fun" layout, that plan looks pretty impressive. I really like the the operational potential of it. When you get that done, I would have to make a trip to Cali just to run on it.

Those unexpected things, like a new car, always get in the way of our dream layouts. I wish life would cooperate with our layout plans more. Maybe they should have a business meeting and straight their sh-t out so you, me and everyone else get get on to the "Dream Layout".

Sounds interesting Bob! I had not thought of that myself. The big issue seems to reside in the fact that the staging space is very compact. I'm pretty much using up everything there is to allow for it. I'm not sure how I could pull off squeezing in a transfer table style.

It wouldn't need to take up any more space than the yard. Build the same 3 or 4 tracks, and have the connecting track run to the track closest to the aisleway. In operation, you slide the 4 track sideways, possibly on a drawer mount type system, to line up the track you want.

At the end of the session, the tracks slide back to the wall, and take up the least space possible.

I love a good switching layout. Your bound to have lots fun switching along on the layout. In case I missed it, will it be a ATSF or BNSF based layout?

What year will you be modeling?

Tis the season to lay track!

I'll play with the staging when I get near enough to that stage to actually test it in person. Considering then space is about 3' then a 90 degree turn and about 2-2.5' when the closet door is left open to one side, or the other. We'll see.

As for glue, the Elmer's glue all is for the foam only, no glue at all on the wood, just screws.

Its not really built to be themed, but I guess, BNSF, because thats pretty much 75% of my fleet right now! It'll be modern. The layout is to allow me switching, and running opportunity until I can buy the house to build a permanent layout (even if its not 100% what I want). Its planned to be a play on what you'd commonly see passing on Cajon, so that all the rolling stock I buy can be transfered over. LPG cars pass over Cajon coming to San Diego, Boxcars, obviously, scrap metal is just fun to model, and Grain, there's a Cargil grain elevator along the pass. Adding the station allows me to have a reason for the Amtrak train, on this layout.

Let me know when you are up and running, I may just have to "interchange" a freight car for use on your layout.
Will do! Its getting there, but I might have to pause a bit until tomorrow. Hopefully I can make it it & out of Wal*mart safely. I'm pretty much out of the glue now, so the foam work has to stop. I can build more legs, but I cannot add the cross members w/o the brackets (well I can but I prefer not to, so that they can be dismantled easier).

Three sections up along the wall.
View attachment 7800

"H" top frame detail, as I described earlier.
View attachment 7801

Closer view of the "H" frame, attached to the leg.
View attachment 7802

Each module will be bolted to the next, most likely using WS module boards, as I could not find a cheaper alternative at the local home improvement stores. Bolting the modules togeather allows a more secure connection at rail level, and should eliminate gaps.

Mhmmm, I decided to speed things up a bit, I'll try out the idea of using double sided foam tape for the roadbed, instead of the WS N scale I was going to use.

I'm on pause right now do to the wife's friends being here, but I'll gear back up Thursday.

Starting to fill up the room and take shape :) nice :)

Can you kindly take a closeup shot of the foam U r using, so I can see what kind is it and look for it locally? Thanks

Sure Maxi, here's the two logo's from the two brands I'm using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Josh, but apart from that I won't surely find the same brand in my country, I mostly wanted some pictures of the foam thickness, so I could see how the material is :) Sry! for not explaining myself earlier :)

Back