Comparing N scale diesels

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Sundance71

I currently have Kato, Bachmann, and Broadway Limited DCC diesel locomotives. I have the opportunity to purchase an Intermountain diesel. How do folks rate these brands?

Kato: Almost always great.
Bachmann: All the way from "great" to "garbage". Depends on how old and which particular model you may have.
Broadway Limited: Hi-Tech. They're great, until they have problems. I had a couple at one time, and sold 'em off. Too hi-tech for my tastes.
Intermountain: Mostly great, AFAIC. I have a few, and have no quarrels with them.

Other favorites of mine, in no particular order, but manufactured since the mid-90's and later......................
Atlas, Life-Like, Walters (old Life-Like), Athearn, Con-Cor. There could be a few others, but I don't own any of them.

Also, Model Power produced some die-cast, metal shelled F-units that, after servicing a few of them, really impressed me. Nice units.

Bottom line: Most N-scale diesels produced in the past 25 years (except for Bachmann train set locos) tends to be pretty good stuff. With a few exceptions, most (not all, but most) N-scale locos produced pre-1990's make good fishing sinkers, in my opinion.

As a long time N-scaler along with servicing & fixing N-scale locos for my local hobby shop and local club members, I don't profess to be a total expert, but perhaps have at least a little experience to lend a qualified opinion.

Twinboystrains

The locomotives I have are Kato, Atlas and newer Bachmann. I only had to remotor 1 Atlas. Purchased it cheap after talking with the seller about what he had done to try to fix it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.