Comparing N scale diesels

Sundance71

I currently have Kato, Bachmann, and Broadway Limited DCC diesel locomotives. I have the opportunity to purchase an Intermountain diesel. How do folks rate these brands?

Kato: Almost always great.
Bachmann: All the way from "great" to "garbage". Depends on how old and which particular model you may have.
Broadway Limited: Hi-Tech. They're great, until they have problems. I had a couple at one time, and sold 'em off. Too hi-tech for my tastes.
Intermountain: Mostly great, AFAIC. I have a few, and have no quarrels with them.

Other favorites of mine, in no particular order, but manufactured since the mid-90's and later......................
Atlas, Life-Like, Walters (old Life-Like), Athearn, Con-Cor. There could be a few others, but I don't own any of them.

Also, Model Power produced some die-cast, metal shelled F-units that, after servicing a few of them, really impressed me. Nice units.

Bottom line: Most N-scale diesels produced in the past 25 years (except for Bachmann train set locos) tends to be pretty good stuff. With a few exceptions, most (not all, but most) N-scale locos produced pre-1990's make good fishing sinkers, in my opinion.

As a long time N-scaler along with servicing & fixing N-scale locos for my local hobby shop and local club members, I don't profess to be a total expert, but perhaps have at least a little experience to lend a qualified opinion.

The locomotives I have are Kato, Atlas and newer Bachmann. I only had to remotor 1 Atlas. Purchased it cheap after talking with the seller about what he had done to try to fix it.

Thanks for the input ... I've been out of town so didn't check here until just now. Sounds like an Intermountain diesel is an okay buy.

How about Deluxe Innovations rolling stock? I'm in the market for covered 2-bay hopper cars, and there are a lot of Deluxe ones on ebay.

Deluxe Innovations make good rolling stock. I have some and had no issues with them. They have good details. My advice is do research on the seller on Ebay. Also check out www.spookshow.net when you can. He tests and rates locos and rolling stock. He's not paid by any manufacturer. Gives you the truth as he sees it from testing and running about everything made in model railroading.

Back