Comparing F-7's

How do HO F-7 locomotives stack up? I like Athearn's Genesis line, partly because both the A and B units are powered. But I have been looking at Intermountain and BLI. They all seem like quality locomotives. Are they all essentially equal in quality?

I just confirmed my order of a Genesis SF F-7 Passenger with my hobby shop dealer. This locomotive is scheduled for deliver in April of this year. Should I rethink this potential purchase?

Happy Railroading,

ST

I think the Genesis is the nicest F7 out there. The detail is still unmatched by the others, and it seems everyone makes an F7! Having said that, the Intermountain and Proto 2000 units are still very nicely done and I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them. I'm not familiar with the BLI F7, but I have not been overly impressed with their other offerings.

My only issue with the Genesis line is the sound decoders they use, if you don't have an MRC DCC system, I would avoid getting the sound units. Get them with no sound and put QSI sound decoders in them.

Best looks go to the Genesis, best sound is a toss up between the P2K and BLI. Intermountain is in the middle. Detail not quite as good as the Genesis and sound not quite as good as the P2K and BLI. For value, I think the Genesis without DCC sound and then adding your own QSI or Locsound detector is hard to beat.

I have a couple of the Genesis units, without sound, and they are excellent models. They run very well and have very good detail. And on top of that they are available factory painted in the as delivered Wabash scheme.
DSC02623.jpg

Both Wathers(P2K) and Intermountain is QSI sound decoders. Athearn Genesis uses a MRC sound decoder. I am not sure what BLI uses in their current stuff. The started out with QSI, went to ESU-LokSound with the 'Precision Craft' line, and then 'something else' with the 'Blue Line' engines. Bachmann Spectrum engines with 'DCC/Sound On-Board' use a customized Soundtraxx Tsnami sound decoder(usually steam engines).

Jim

I like the athern F7 systems but I have heard a few negitive things with the MRC sound decoders. the BLI F7 are just as nice and come sound equipped. I havent seen a BLI diesel or steam that I would not buy.

Trent

I know there are a lot of excellent F-7 locomotives on the market. I do like BLI's offering. And I am impressed with the single Blueline I own. However, I think I am going to stick with Genesis' model -for now- because I now own two of them. Moreover, I like UP2CSX's advice to go with an after-market decoder. But whatever route I take, I will not make another hasty purchase. I think I've learned my lesson.

Take care,

Tom

Anybody have the Walthers P2K F's? They've gotten just a nod so far in this thread, but their body is just as good, their road specific details are better, as is their drive. The QSI sound system they use is also excellent. I agree with the opinion so far on Athearn's sound decoders and have not bought one, though I have many non sound Gernesis F's. My latest F purchase was P2K. These run & sound great.

Interesting to see a thread about F unit vs. F unit with not one, not two, not three, but *four* names that a decade ago were not associated with F units at all: Genesis, Broadway Limited, Intermountain, Proto 2000.

Until the Intermountain (initially a shell kit only) was released in 1999 the Stewart F unit was hands down the first choice. Shells were vastly better than anybody else's and the drives were Kato, or clones thereof. The shells were also available in a number of phases from F2 to F9.

Today:

Genesis Athearn - the fabulous Highliners shell. You aren't going to beat it in terms of accuracy. The latest releases are including more detail too - if you have an earlier run you may have to add things like m.u. hoses, nose lifts, some grabs, etc depending on what version you are modeling. The Genesis F drive is still probably Athearn's best drive, with the new gearboxes and the Roco motor. And thos fabulous Blomberg sideframes. Now 23-24 year old tooling and nobody has touched them.

Walthers Proto 2000 - they did a pretty decent job on the shell, the windshields aren't right but nobody else (except Highliners) ever got it right. The nose is much better than other attempts, still Highliners is the one to be equalled but not beaten in that department. Walthers has added more small detail, probably that has motivated Athearn to up the detail on theirs. They are nice units with the new improved drives, but I don't own one so I can't give a full report on performance. My Walthers Empire Builder is pulled by an ABA set of Genesis F units.

Intermountain - again vastly improved over their earlier runs. IMO their drive sits too high. Sideframes.... so-so, delrin. I had a very early one, but sold it. I've looked more closely at the FP7 than their other recent F units. I passed on the FP due to a) lack of desperate need for an FP7, b) rumors of a possible Athearn project and c) the ability to kitbash the shell from Highliners.

Broadway - it has the same buttons, bells, and whistles you'll find on the others but at a much lower level of quality and refinement. At 3 feet it's harder to tell the difference but I like to get a lot closer. BLI's drives are ok, but probably of the four I'd rank it 4th. In fact of the 4 I'd rank BLI 4th in every category.

Sound: BLI and Proto use QSI sound systems. Their 567 sound to me is all white noise, any actual engine sounds are drowned in the hiss. Not sure what the Intermountain uses. Genesis uses the MRC sound system which IMO has an ok *idle* sound for an F unit, but the decoders are flakey and once you come off idle, it's just white noise.

IMO the only diesel sound system that sounds like an F unit is Tsunami's 567 decoder. I actually have a Genesis F7A with one in it - the only loco I have with sound in it that didn't come with it and the only time I deliberately set out to put sound on board. To really make it work you have to set it so the sound can be controlled separately with the throttle, independent of the speed. So I can notch the prime mover up as the loco slowly crawls forward and have it in Run8 but moving slowly... or drop to idle or near idle at speed for coasting. It sounds cool but it's a lot of work to operate. Great for show, but the sound - nice as it is - and the effort gets old fast. I will probably build up an ABBA set with Tsunamis as sort of a "show off" warbonnet consist, and use them when I want the effect. I have several other sets without sound and they'll stay that way.

Currently no plans to put sound in anything else. I'd love to have a really good double sound unit for an E6/E7, but nothing out there comes close. Tsunami's is a 16-cyl; I need a 12-cyl and two of them independent of each other to approximate the sound of an E7. Currently I don't know if Tsunami has any plans to do more distinct variants. They are currently listing their 567 decoder as correct for an F3, F7, or GP7 (probably BL2 also) and it is. They also list it as correct for a GP9 and GP18 (close but no cigar), and switchers (not even close) and E units (ditto). I hope that since Soundtraxx has come up with a much improved technology for sound, that they will expand it to include the variations rather than stand pat.

Andy

el3637,

Thanks so much for your extremely informative analysis of F-7 locomotives. I have no knowledge of locomotives you've examined but Genesis. And in all honesty, I bought two Genesis F-7 locomotives because they are handsome pieces. And once I have them on track, I fell in love with them. And this is from a committed steam locomotive aficionado. I never, ever thought I'd buy a diesel locomotive, now, because on my two F-7's, I want more. My next diesel locomotive will be an Atlas, probably a Silver Series, Dash 8W Warbonnet that another poster advised me to buy.

I have been extremely satisfied with Genesis. From my limited exposure of Genesis, I would not hesitate recommending Genesis to anyone.

Take care,

Tom

el3637,
I have been extremely satisfied with Genesis. From my limited exposure of Genesis, I would not hesitate recommending Genesis to anyone.

As the owner of, I believe 70 Genesis F units, I would agree with that recommendation :)

Last time I counted it was 67. Since then I added a Southern and two Bluebonnets. So I'm fairly sure it's an accurate count. Certainly the most I have of any one locomotive although it includes F3, F7, and F9 A and B units.

Andy

As the owner of, I believe 70 Genesis F units, I would agree with that recommendation :)

Last time I counted it was 67. Since then I added a Southern and two Bluebonnets. So I'm fairly sure it's an accurate count. Certainly the most I have of any one locomotive although it includes F3, F7, and F9 A and B units.

Andy

Yeah, I second that!!! And did I write that they are gook-looking locomotives to boot???

Take care,

Tom

Well, I just bought a BLI Blueline F-7A & F-7B from Factory Direct Trains. The deal was too good to pass up. I wanted a UP F-7, & Genesis does not offer such a model. If it did I would have gone that route.

Take care,

Tom

Well, now I have something to which I can directly compare my Genesis F-7 locomotives.

I have Blueline's EMD F-7A & F-7B, both of which are powered. I wanted to silence sound from the "B" unit. After I so programmed her using my DC Master, the damned thing up and died on me. Not even a peep will she emit: dead on her wheels. I've tried to reset her as specified in her accompanying instructions, but not even emergency room trauma procedure could resuscitate her! I hate to write this, but I think she's DOT: Dead on Tracks! Either that or she's holding out for equal pay for equal work...something about women's liberation!

In contrast, my Genesis models have been all up-and-down the tracks, not to mention hanging out of the other side of them, and nary a problem have I experienced with them. I think that in the future I am going to stick with what I know works as advertised. After all, that's their job, right? To work as advertised???

Happy railroading,

Tom

Back