Color Mix for Fading Brown Ore Cars

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I plan on weathering some Walthers ore cars that are colored brown. To fade the cars before the main weathering, I plan on using acrylic white as a base with a tint of Grimy Black or Rail Brown to "cut" the white color. I will mix the paint 10% White, 2% Grimy Black and the balance 70% alcohol. I will apply using an air brush in light coats.

Any suggestions or other paint mixes formulas?

Thanks.

Greg

For my fading I use some watered down (acrylic) light brown (or khaki) with a little gray added for the first coats with the airbrush. Not sure of the % however mixed it the way some people cook (looks good to me). My tip is wide so I use several light coats. I used only water.

That gives the dust and fade appearance. I usually follow with a second step of watered down black with a little gray added to darken along the bottom of the cars and ends.

Still experimenting with roof treatments, however irrelevant to ore cars.

I am a newbie with the airbrush so am interested in reading all the replies!

I've just been experimenting myself with brown hoppers with ballast. I used a light grey (gray) pastel powder. Dullcoated first.

DSC04699.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04700.JPG
    DSC04700.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
This car was done with a very very light coat of very light grey and then dullcote followed by various powders and then a final dullcote.

image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, I tried a mix of Camo Gray and Rail Brown which I brushed on a sample box car. The color looks almost right, but need to use an air brush to be certain and more light layers of paint I used Camo Gray since white maybe too bright and need a lot of toning down.

Please still offer you ideas and methods since weathering has so many different approaches and ideas.

Thanks.

Greg

i use all testors products in this, Works pretty good.i add about 8-10 drops of White Enamal Paint to bottle of Dullcote Lacquer (1.75 oz bottle). I fill airbrush cup 2/3 Dullcote, 1/3 Lacquer Thinner. Spray light coats onto car or engine, as many as you want. between coat I use a hairdrier to dry each coat. I like it works pretty damn good I think

Back