CNW switching layout

Wisconsin has bean facilities as some of the major seed reps are just over the Ill/wis boarder. A creamery or brew house would definitely fit ... The other thing you could do would be Milwaukees Milorganite plant ... http://mobile.onmilwaukee.com/market/articles/makingmilorganite.html ... This explains the process its been made since the late 20s and has rail service.
images

Last edited by a moderator:
So I took the mainline up and put roadbed down as I didn't care for the completely flat look. Wisconsin and Illinois do get a lot of rain which would cause flooding. So wanted to justify some standing pools of water later without flooding my tracks. will post pictures soon

Alright it has been about a month and I have been busy getting the railroad running again. I added road bed as everything was just looking to flat. I also added a creamery and got everything running again. Here are some of my progress photos.IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1532.jpgIMG_1533.jpgIMG_1534.jpg

Looks like you've been busy. Like it. Have you decided on some more industries yet? There are a lot of possibilities as you see from the posts.

Looks like you've been busy. Like it. Have you decided on some more industries yet? There are a lot of possibilities as you see from the posts.

Creamery, grain elevator, along with the paper mill. The team track probably might be my favorite as I found you could just put a vehicle next to the track to match the car your unloading. So you have a pellet hopper you can unload plastic pellets, lumber to the right truck, gravel you would need a dump truck and a tractor, or what I'm doing now is putting a Phillip 66 gas truck next to a tank car. The coolest part is it allows for variable changes in the operating sessions. I kind of want to develop multiple changeable mini scenes for the variety here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 214
IMG_1577.jpgIMG_1578.jpgIMG_1579.jpgSo thanks for all the advice. I repainted my back drop blue, my clouds were cool, but until I can paint them better I'll just stick with blue for now. I built the creamery straight from the box and I am happy with how it came out. I would like to add working lights to above the front door facing the street some day in the future when I get my secondary bus installed. But for now I'm pretty happy with my results. Just need a little more detail on what kind of cars I should have coming and going from the creamery and maybe how I could expand the complex.

ca776b6cae76c21a50ac3dd8f5ab6618.jpg
a6701e1963f2971d47ab9af7a72fbbe2.jpg

So lately I have been taking a break from the layout to get my rolling stock to match what I'm modeling. And I put in this farm next to olearys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c3f4c60907dbbb8445f5e74649935b7f.jpg

So I put sash and door next to olearys
Have been operating and even though without the layout being finished bringing cars to and from staging switching olearys spooners and the paper mill takes a lot of time but I still have some issues with track leveling out in the paper mill. But it's fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1037d842d4bfa296f03c648787178743.jpg

aee2ac289d0bcd940f6303e28482c045.jpg

Before and after I attended the proto modelers meet where I tried my hand at weathering a car. Awesome. Probably not perfect but I really like it

Awesome!, what did you use to weather that engine? Also you could model a truck to rail transfer facility. That way you can spot different cars along one track.
I've Googled Earth some real spot for ideas.

Here's a big one

330 Codoni Ave
Modesto, CA 95357

A small one

28008-28014 Main St
Shelby, Mt 59474

Ive seen tank cars and hoppers there too. Also looks like a small dock for boxcars.

A picture I took of the place.
IMG_8991%202.png

I had some help on the engine by Dave Scheoedle at the Collinsville prototype meet we first dull coated then used powders a white charcoal pencil and watercolor pencils.

I had some help on the engine by Dave Scheoedle at the Collinsville prototype meet we first dull coated then used powders a white charcoal pencil and watercolor pencils.

Are they what is also called Artist's pastels, come in about 2" form, square or round and you can grind them up or scrape into powder? Sometimes wrapped in paper.

1037d842d4bfa296f03c648787178743.jpg

aee2ac289d0bcd940f6303e28482c045.jpg

Before and after I attended the proto modelers meet where I tried my hand at weathering a car. Awesome. Probably not perfect but I really like it

Don't knock yourself on that weathering, it came alive! Well Done! Them vents look like they been breathing!

Back