CNR Steam question

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
Does anyone know what decade this loco would be appropriate for? It has no steps. Is this a very early version of the loco? All the other locos have steps of this class.

That is a pic of a consolidation that was used as a road engine. I would doubt that all of the 2-8-0 class was converted into switchers, if I'm understanding you correctly. Now they may have been fitted with different pilots or this is of a class different from the one you're thinking of.

Many RR's had different classes of the same wheel arrangements. Ex. SRR had 2-8-0's in G, H, I, J, & K classes, as well as several subclasses of each.

That is a pic of a consolidation that was used as a road engine. I would doubt that all of the 2-8-0 class was converted into switchers, if I'm understanding you correctly. Now they may have been fitted with different pilots or this is of a class different from the one you're thinking of.

Many RR's had different classes of the same wheel arrangements. Ex. SRR had 2-8-0's in G, H, I, J, & K classes, as well as several subclasses of each.

I made a mistake. It is a different class - The photo I posted is a N4 class.
However I can't make any sense of these old ads in regards to the dates the models are appropriate for. I do know when the non-tilted herald came out, but the tilted herald had a long history and is hard to pinpoint a time when the photo of the loco without steps was taken.

In that case, get you a book on CN power and check the dates in there. You may find that many locos didn't get the changes made to the class until several years down the road.

Check out "Guide to North American Steam Locomotives". The CN section there says that the N4 (2515-2686) were built between 1906 and 1911 and last retired in 1961.

This info might help with your question.

Cheers
Willis

http://www.trainweb.org/j.dimech/roster/280ros2.html#N-4-a

from the N-4-a Roster

CNR'23------GTR---- -GTR 2/3------------Boiler------------Date------
Number---Number----Class----Bldr----Number-----Built-------Scrap
=====---=====---====---====--======---====----====
2552 -------690---------D5------MLW-----40607-----11/06-----10/61

Thank you all.

I noticed the loco without the steps is pulling all wooden box cars no steel ones.

Can anyone see if the herald on the tender is tilted or level? It's hard for me to tell.

If it is horizontal than the shot was taken post 1954; I think that is when the horizontal herald was introduced. If this is the case (I'm guessing) then the loco seems to have had no steps added on at anytime or never had any.

Back