Cn gp7

ccool

Hi !

It make some month that i don't write here !

I'm starting to find information on a new project, A CN GP7

I have some question and i appreciate if someone can help me.

#1 I have some picture but if someone have some other, it's sure that it can be helpfull.

#2 I model # 4820, like i tell i have some picture but not a lot and some are very old and not clear. I see on CN lines web sites that some unit have flexicoil truck. What is the name of the commun truck on a GP7 ? and like my model are from Proto, does proto make flexicoil ?

#3 The footbar or Eric P-9 are probably accurate for this model ?

#4 I need information for the Horn, i don't have any picture to see the model, can anyone can help me with that ?

Thanks again !

Willis, isn't that the horn just in front of the forward muffler in this photo?

http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/gp7/img_cn4803r.jpg

Yes, I've got a black and white photo Bob Boudreau sent me. It has one of those GP7's and that is the horn. I can't post the picture without his consent though. Hopefully he'll see this post and add it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep but I believe the CNR called the long hood the front
The Horn required is a Detail Associates 1601 Nathan M3 Three Chime Horn
http://lesliee.sasktelwebsite.net/cn9096.jpg you can see it here but it's a little offset to the engineer's side.
The GP9's had the horn on the short hood the GP18 had it on the nose of the long hood behind the bell.
Cheers
Willis

Hi !

I see this web site, excellent model are show of course.

I'm not sure that all unit are the same horn but it can be a option to take this one !

THanks !

Hi !

I check them again and on a picture on CNLine 11/2 on page 15 i see the unit 4811 with the 3 horn forward...

The GP7s came with both flexi-coils and blombergs. GP7s were all pretty much off the roster by 1980, succumbing to either scrap or as rebuild material for GP9rms or slugs.

You can't simply change the sideframes from blombergs to flexi's, the wheelbase is different.

http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=9789

looks like 4800-4802 had blombergs and dyn brakes, 4821 had blombergs and non db. not sure about 4820...

The GP9's had the horn on the short hood the GP18 had it on the nose of the long hood behind the bell.
Cheers
Willis

CN units had the horn behind the second spark arrestor (front is the longhood end) Some GPs had the horn right on the front of the longhood, but that was sometimes because of snowshields on the roof. Most GP9s had 2 flutes fwd, 1 flute back, but I've seen some with 3 flutes fwd, or 2 flutes back, 1 fwd...

CN only had GP7s and 9s, no GP18s. GTW and CV had a handfull of 18s tho. I'm not aware of any CN GP7's-9's with horns mounted on the short hood.

Hi !

Can you post or give me a link if you know one with a very clear picture of the 2 different truck, i will try to see what i need first ?

Thanks !

Hi !

The first one are blomberg and the second flexicoil ?

The flexicoil are the " commun" on GP 7/9 ?

Thanks !

Hi again !

On the picture that i have of the 4820 that i model, i clearly see that it's definitively like the first picture and my truck need to be changed ( if possible)

I read the GP7 had born with flexicoil and changed after that but i don't know when, i don't know if it come with flexicoil painted black and red. If someone know that it can be helpfull.

THe next question is to see if it's possible to change them ?

Where the bloomberg truck come from ?

Thanks !

Hi !

I already read but i'M not sure to enderstand corectly.

Flexicoil trucks from 4100-4133 ( Come from GP9 ) were fitted beginning in early 1967 (Mod.HQ-8081). Right ?

By November 1969 all units were listed in the Mechanical Dept. diagrams as having Flexicoil trucks (information from Don McQueen and Ray Corley). If this was indeed the case then several units were refitted with Blomberg trucks after only a few years as shown by the photographic evidence.

I enderstand that all unit was originaly build with bloomberg truck ?

After that some or all engine was "upgraded" with flexicoil ?

And some come back with bloomberg ?

Please help me again, my english are limited.

Thanks a lot !

Hi !

Can you tell me exactly with the picture of iomalley, the 4806 have bloomberg and 4822 flexicoil ?

Thanks !

Back