CN boxcar paint and decals

ccool

Hi !

I want to paint a 50' high cube box car and i want to know the paint that i can use ( i absolutly want solvent base ) and where i can find the decals for them ?

Thanks !

im not super experienced but i use acrylics. they are cheap, you can mix and get close to or exact color replication fairly easy, dries fast, great coverage.

...but thats just me.

decals by the pound here: http://www.microscale.com/ ive seen the conrail hi cube decal you are looking for on that site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Floquil is your best source for solvent based paint. What boxcar exactly are you trying to model? The CN had lots of different styles of paint and decals for boxcars.

Hi !

I know that floquil are the best but i don't know if it make the right color.

I know only one high cube box car the color is the conventional "box car red" the roof are silver and the upper part of the side are white.

I will try to find a picture..

THanks !

Honestly i just use spray paint and dull it down simply because im not that big into the hobby, maybe you could head to the hardware store with a picture and see what theyve got? that or try you local hobby shop or craft store and compare some colors. For some reason oxide red or oxide brown in the name of the color of boxcars i think, but thats a maybe i really dont know like i said that is what i think ive heard it been called.

Hi !

I already try one time water base and it's a lot of problem, the primer that i use are solvent base and the paint do not " steal ? " on them.

The adherence are better and the durability too with solvent base.

It's my opinion.

Thanks !

Floquil Boxcar Red will be an exact match for those cars. Boxcar Red is actually more brown than red and was a typical color used for standard boxcars all over North America. Both the cars in your links are from the same series and have the same color paint. Either Bright White or Antique White paint would be a match for the warning stripe, depending on how long you want to show the car in service. Microscale Decals set 87-335 appears to be an exact match for these outside post boxcars.

You might also want to check oout the Scalecoat paints. Use the Scalecoat II for plastics (Scalecoat I is for metal surfaces like brass). They are carried by Walthers, and some hobby shops. Scalecoat much better than Floquil (sorry Jim), and gives you a gloss finish that is easy to decal over. You don't have to clear coat before decaling. They come in 1 and 2 ounce bottles.

As for decals, I'd start with Microscale.

Alan, Scalecoat II is fine also, although only Flouquil has some colors I really like, such as aged concrete. Either paint will do a fine job. I think I already gave him the correct Microscale part number.

Hi !

Thanks again for your answer.

I see that scalecoat make boxcar red #1, #2 and #3

Any comments on the color ?

For ther decals the set of microscale are not too bad but i'M not sure that all decals are include and it's expensive because more that the half of the sheet are not necessary.

I note the number but do you know if other brand like highball or CDS make them ?

I have a good store for the decals, it have all brand in stock but i loose the link when my computer was stolen and i can not re-find them :(

Thanks !

Alan, Scalecoat II is fine also, although only Flouquil has some colors I really like, such as aged concrete. Either paint will do a fine job. I think I already gave him the correct Microscale part number.

Yes, for structures and weathering I also have plenty of Floquil on hand, but on serious loco and rolling stock projects (definition: Paying projects :D) I prefer Scalecoat I or II, except for their Daylight Orange. Every company makes mistakes, and Daylight Orange is Scalecoat's. It looks more like Milwaukee Road Caboose Orange! The curing time is a little longer, but the gloss finish is awesome.

CNSig has made a group of bang on CN paints, all are Scalecoat 1 or 2. You want Scalecoat 1 #100-11 CN Red #12. I agree about the finish, once cured it is virtually bulletproof!

AFA decals, Herald King was the only one that did the 86 footers and it is a very good set if you can find them. Otherwise you can piece together from other sets as IIRC the CN noodle is a 12' noodle which is the same size as on their early diesels. Highball graphics makes some CN sets. Microscale's early boxcar set with white red and blue(?) lettering is brutal. CDS dry transfers are also accurate, but your going to have to cut and paste to get your numbers/data/weights right.

CN freight cars were white lettering as opposed to the grey on their diesels...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've painted many CN boxcars and use Floquil on all of them. If you look at several different boxcars in the real world there's probably going to be some subtle color differences between then due to sun fade, weathering, dirt and dust acumulation and of course different paint batches in the factory. I too tried to airbrush acrylic and was disappointed with the results. If you can find them I think you'll find CDS decals (rub-on transfers) offer the least hassle. If you want to go with water slide decals mircoscale has been my choice

Be very careful with microscale, as MOST of their CN sets are WRONG! Some that come to mind are:

87-234 - asst'd boxcars and caboose - ok for numbers, but no data/weights other than one set for a 50' box, and a slabside hopper. comes with white red and blue graphics...blue graphics? CN never had blue, shoulda been black!! :rolleyes:

87-567, 568, 746, 939 & 641 - this is where Microscale COMPLETELY dropped the ball. These sets used to be the benchmark for the post 1961 diesel scheme, but some clown called Microscale and told them the grey was wrong, but the grey was in fact PERFECT and should have been left alone! So since about 10 years ago, the sets have grey/white graphics, but they should be darker CN Grey #17!!! An Epic Failure! They HAD it right and blew it! You can still find old sets, or better yet use Accucals or CDS.

87-849 - noodle logos too wide, all of them :mad:

MC-4227 - completely wrong, noodle logo has too sharp bends, numbers are too tall...not much else on the set other than that. Go CDS or Sylvan if possible.

I use Herald King, CDS, Accucals, Highball Graphics and older #17 grey Microscale...I've been disenchanted with microscale of late, like they don't even care anymore. Don't even get me started on their CP or DT&I sets...:mad:

I've never used the modern era (wet noodle) micrasale decals since I model 1959. As far as I know those decals are fairly accuate.

Back