Cleaning car

Tuna

Greetings,

I starting working at a museum running the model trail layout. The layout has tall plexiglass walls surrounding it and limited access to the track inside the layout. So, tracking cleaning is a PITA. So, I'm trying to find 'cleaning cars' for the "O", "G" and "S" scale tracks on the layout. Yes, it has all 3 scales on one big layout. "O" scale is 3-rail. "G" and "S" are 2-rail.

Any body make one of these and where can I get them?

I'd prefer an unpowered cleaning car rather than a cleaning engine.

the easiest way is the make your own, it’s what I did, but in HO.

I used a boxcar and mounted a Bright Boy track cleaner under it, but some folks use a piece of Masonite. It shouldn’t be too abrasive or it will destroy the track contour.

On mine, I just drilled 2 holes thru the bottom and ran 2 screws thru the holes and into the pad. Leave the screws loose enough so the pad will drag slightly on the rail. Angle the ends with a taper so it rides over crossings and such.

It should use the weight of the pad to scrub, if you need more weight, add it to the top of the screws so they will push on the pad only. Or you can add weight to the backside of the pad it there is room. Adding weight to the car itself won’t help since the pad “floats” independently.

Making one is probably what I'll have to do. I'll start looking for a donor car to drill holes in.

Back