Cleaning a airbrush

frog

Kinda a basic topic, but I got a new airbrush, a Badger Patriot 105. I have read how to strip it down but I was told I don't have to do all that unless I start having problems.

I was told to just clean out the bowl good and run thinner through it until clear, then put the tip of the brush into a small bottle of thinner and blow air through it to clean out the nozzle.

To me it sounds good, but is this enough? I use solvent based paint most of the time.

If you don't plan on using the airbrush for a little while I recommend cleaning it by taking out the needle etc.

Yes you can get away with just flushing with thinner etc but not always. It just so happens that when you want to use your brush and it doesn't spray right you discover that you need to disassemble etc.

It only takes a few minutes to really clean the brush after you are finished spraying for the day..

You don't have to strip it down. I have an Iwata gravity fed airbrush. Different brand, but same parts & design and works the same way. You can blow thinner through it until it shoots clear, then you're basically done. If you won't be painting for a while, I'd pull out the needle & wipe it off, but that's all the further you have to disassemble. This is what the folks at Badger will tell you. I've been in their clinics enough. It's also how I've been maintianing my guns for years. Don't take it apart unless you absolutely have to because something is broken or it won't spray. That should be never unless you let paint dry in it or drop it :D

Thanks for the advice. I don't mind at all in taking it down and clening it, I just didn't want it to get clogged up.

I have yet to use it, I want to pratice first with some oddball paint I hardly ever use or something else that is inexpensive.

Then at last I will start to work on my railcars, giving them that "used" look.

To date so far all I have used has been powdered chalks, I might try to find a combination of the two together. Should look good on coal cars, plus the others as well.

Good for you. Just one thing: Practice with the paint you'll actually use, not something "oddball". Otherwise when you change mediums, you may have to learn some subtle differences in how the paint sprays. This is what's nice about the gravity feed airbrushes. You can use very small amounts of paint. also remember that the paint is the cheapest part of all this. Your time and effort is worth something, usually the most in any given project, so don't scrimp on supplies, keep things clean, and discard unused thinned paint at the end of a session.

For weathering I use these:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=5553

Very easy to use, airbrush ready, and you can wash them off if you make a mistake or just don't like the results. Seal them with Dullcote or any flat finish when you're done, like you would with chalk.

Back