Childhood trains

Did you have a Lionel train set as a kid?

• Yes

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters
American Flyer. 4-8-4 "Pathfinder" set.. Later had Lansburgs "Rocket Cars" and 2 of the handcars. Also had guy walking on roof of boxcar, a Missouri Pacific PA(powered and not)set, Alco switcher and some rib sided chromed passenger cars. dad sold all of it in the late 80's for $$ to buy HO. Must of had 150 feet of track.

American Flyer I still have it and it still works great. I'm pretty sure it was 1959 when my dad bought it for me.

I might have had the 2-4-2 "Scout". All I remember is, it was brand-new when I received that loco plus a flat car, gondola, hopper and caboose for Christmas in 1959. My dad had already laid some track on a 4x8 in the basement, so I got to play with it immediately after I unwrapped it. Probably the most exciting Christmas I ever had!:cool: Definitely a defining event in my life.

I drifted away from toy trains after age 10, but was suddenly introduced to HO scale model railroading at age 12 when I got my first issue of RMC (August 1966).

I had some sort of steam engine, typical mechanical cars, a ton of the buildings, and enough track to fill 3 4x8 tables. At the time, everything was set up in the attic, making it very uncomfortable to play with 6 months out of the year.

We moved to another house where there wasn't any room for it and I do remember setting everything up outside for a weekend. When we moved again, everything was in 2 large trunks and stored in a shed as we, again, had no where to set it up. The girls and cars got in the way, along with a call from Uncle Sam. When I returned home I went to the shed to haul everything to my home and was told, "Oh, I sold all your childhood stuff." NO trains, baseball cards, comic books, Dinky Toys cars and trucks.:eek:

I am way too young for Lionel. First set was a lifelike one with power loc track probably around 1998 when I was 5. Graduated to an Athearn UP Stream lined passenger set at the age of 8. Today the F7 has been re-lettered, the RPO reduced to m.o.w service, and the dome/observation cars parted out.

I think my first train set was either a Tyco or Bachmann back in the early 80's. I always wanted a Lionel set though.

No Lionel here either. Now days, less and less modelers have gotten involved in trains because of a Lionel train set or Lionel trains of any kind. Train sets just arent popular gifts for kids anymore like they once were. I think this trend pretty much dissappeared in the 1990s.

I started out with an American Flyer set; it had a 4-4-2 marked "Reading Lines", a brown Pennsy gondola, a silver Gulf tank car, and a red AF caboose. It had enough track to do a figure-8, but no crossover. Instead, it had a set of heavy cardboard trestles that you had to put together, to make an over-and-under figure 8.

I'd always wanted a train set... Christmas when I was 4 years old, Dad told me "no", but Grandpa thought differently and bought me the AF set. Two years later, Dad (and Mom) got me into HO with an Athearn train set. I continued to play with my AF trains, but as years went by, I played with the AF less and less... I've still got my American Flyer stuff, packed away in boxes in our basement -- but I'd bet it's been 15-20 years since I've had them out.

One of my best friends had a Lionel set with the ATSF Warbonnet units; I enjoyed playing with them, but after American Flyer and then HO, I thought the Lionel was too "clunky". Also, my friend was more interested in how fast they could go, rather than a slight resemblance to "railroading". When he got a slot car set in the mid-60's, the Lionels were boxed up to make way for a slot car track. I have no idea what ever happened to them...

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I Had, and still do have a Lionel set, cept it was a Lionel HO set!! I do have my grandfathers O gage stuff, but I never run it.
I have replaced the chassis with Walthers chassis, but I still have the originals.
Texas%20Specials.JPG

I remember getting a lionel train for my 9th birthday, was quite special as it was the first model that I actually picked out rather than given randomly

Back