Check these out!!

JustMe

so i ordered three little structures off ebay for a minimal $3.00 and i recieved them today. well i was surprised. these have to be at least 10-15 years old and out of the three only one was open. so if someone wants to tell me how to post pictures ill put one up...

Just use "go advanced" at the bottom of the quick reply. You'll see a paper clip icon on the top line of the toolbar. Click on that and it will allow you to up load up to four pics directly from your hard drive.

Dereck, the Life-Like structure kits are fairly recent, probably made in the last 6 to 8 years. It's hard to tell from your picture but the water tank and outbuilding appear to be Revell kits, which are much older, probably 25-30 years old. The MRC Tech II is a good quality powerpack and should serve you well for starters. The engine appears to be an older Bachmann and the freight cars appear to a mix of Bachmann, Tyco, and Athearn. Looks like you got a nice selection of sectional and flex track. You've got enough to get started. The first thing to consider is changing all the couplers to Kadee's since it looks like a few are missing or broken. The Kadee coupler is a typical railroad style knuckle couple and operates better than the horn-hook couplers you have now. Go to www.kadee.com for more information. I you haven't done so, read Chip's beginners guide at http://www.chipengelmann.com/trains/Beginner/BeginnersGuide01.html. You'll find it very helpful.

well i appreiate your feedback. i think i have a good amount of track so far and i just recieved aother 8 pieces of flex the other day and i have 3 more cars coming in the mail as well. i just wanted to have a good amount of stuff so i didnt get to bored to quick. i got a sheet of plywood today and will most likely get another. i think all i need now is some turnouts and some roadbed and i can build my benchwork and get going. so thanks again!!! also there seems to be alot of different couplers which should i use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would stick to Kadee coupler. They are the gold standard for the hobby, tried and trued for decades. There are other knuckle type couplers out but they have all taken shortcuts to compete on prices with Kadee. With the new #158 "whisker coupler, it makes it a snap to mount Kadee's without having to worry about getting the brass centering plate right.

Back