Changing direction on Atlas Master sound loco

I have acquired an Atlas Master Alco RS3 with Loksound decoder. Andersley western runs long hood forward and this one runs short hood forward. Anyone know which CV needs changing to reverse the direction?

I believe you change CV 29 to 0 or 1 depending. The Power Cab simply as a configuration option that does the same thing without going to the CV.

Based on the configuration of the factory settings, you want to change CV29 to a value of 15 in order to reverse the forward direction.

You may find that after doing this, your headlights may work backwards. If that is the case, change the following ....

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 2
----------------------
CV266 = 2
CV282 = 1

You need to set CVs 31 and 32 first before setting CVs 266 and 282 as they are upper register CVs which point to the specific configuration you need.

Mark.

Probably the easiest way to go about it, is to make the long hood forward, CV29 needs to be an odd number.

I just changed to the next odd number. It now goes the 'proper' way ;)

Now, which CV to change to reduce the sound volume. It is a bit too loud for continual use!

Find the manual, or go to the QSI site and download the PDF for the decoder model you have. Look for the CV dealing with Master Volume, and reduce the highest possible value by about 40%. That will be a good starting point.

You will need first to access CV49, if I recall, and enter a value of 0. Then enter CV 50, or whatever the manual says, and set the value in it to 60% of the maximum figure allowed. You'll find the auditory experience a lot more pleasant at that level with the added bonus that as you work near another locomotive, the ones furthest from you will fade largely from hearing instead of competing from 10 feet away.

Find the manual, or go to the QSI site and download the PDF for the decoder model you have. Look for the CV dealing with Master Volume, and reduce the highest possible value by about 40%. That will be a good starting point.

You will need first to access CV49, if I recall, and enter a value of 0. Then enter CV 50, or whatever the manual says, and set the value in it to 60% of the maximum figure allowed. You'll find the auditory experience a lot more pleasant at that level with the added bonus that as you work near another locomotive, the ones furthest from you will fade largely from hearing instead of competing from 10 feet away.

But it doesn't have a QSI decoder in it. ;)

The master volume for your Loksound decoder is CV63. This basic information should have been included in the paperwork with your engine.

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just changed to the next odd number. It now goes the 'proper' way ;)

Now, which CV to change to reduce the sound volume. It is a bit too loud for continual use!
On mine/ I set CV63 to 25. Volume is a matter of personal preference, but that volume level allows me to clearly hear the engine anywhere in the train room. Setting CV3 and 4 to a value of around 125 will help slow down the starts and stops.
Atlas also has a mention in their online guide about letting F8 control startup and shutdown sounds, rather than having the thing blindly crank up every time track power is applied. it is on their website, under manuals.

But it doesn't have a QSI decoder in it. ;)

The master volume for your Loksound decoder is CV63. This basic information should have been included in the paperwork with your engine.

Mark.
If his RS3 is like my C425, there was nothing in the box, except an exploded parts diagram.

My box contained an exploded parts diagram and a "Quick Start Guide". Which is quite basic!

Did a search for ESU Loksound Select decoders and got a link to download a pdf of the whole set of information.

Yes, CV63 is the one to change volume. I see that if desired, each item of sound can be controlled individually! Think I will just go with overall sound.

The manual said the default on the CV63 was 180, but mine was at full volume of 192! I set it to 90 and it seems about right for now. Thanks for the insight guys. :)

Now I need to find a UK supplier of these decoders so I can fit my other locos. Shipping from the US can be amazingly high. :(

Had a search for UK suppliers of Loksound decoders, and ones that do have them are way more expensive than in the USA. Checked postage on some in US on eBay and postage is not bad. But are there any US suppliers anyone can recommend for me to get specific decoders for specific locomotives? Most decoders on eBay do not say what sounds are loaded (if any). Are they just blanks which need programming with needed sound?

Keep in mind the online ESU manual is for the commercial level decoders and might not coincide with an OEM installation. OEMs have a tendency to configure things differently than ESU's regular production. I've seen this on numerous forums where people are following the manual exactly trying to make a change and their OEM engine are not re-acting as expected .... yes, very frustrating. Guess the OEMs don't expect people to be wanting to fiddle with the decoders. ESU has strongly recommended to the manufactures to maintain their standards, but for some reason, the OEMs seem to think otherwise.

As for purchasing the Select decoders, I'm afraid you are stuck sourcing a North American supplier as the Select decoders are currently only available in North America. UK suppliers are only carrying the 4.0 decoders.

Mark.

Had a search for UK suppliers of Loksound decoders, and ones that do have them are way more expensive than in the USA. Checked postage on some in US on eBay and postage is not bad. But are there any US suppliers anyone can recommend for me to get specific decoders for specific locomotives? Most decoders on eBay do not say what sounds are loaded (if any). Are they just blanks which need programming with needed sound?

You need to go by the product number. The 73400 Select decoders are blank and need to have the sound file installed. Other product numbers in the 73xxx series will be a preloaded sound file. If you are buying off ebay or any other source, unless you have a LokProgrammer, you are just wasting money purchasing the 4.0 decoders. Get the Select decoder - it has exactly the same file and features, they just don't give you access to the sound file flow charts which require the programmer to modify.

Mark.

Unless you're using a non-standard decoder or DCC system, most of the CV's are now standardized. There are ranges of CV's where different manufactures can put special codes. Look in your decoder book or use a "calculator" as needed.

I have a Loksound Select in the one I purchased, but are there other decoders with as good sound as this one? Drop in sound boards for the various Atlas and Kato locomotives I have would be nice, but I could fit ones with 8-pin plugs and fit my own speakers if necessary. Just want to be sure to get the correct sound for a particular loco.

I apologize for forgetting that your item doesn't have a QSI...my bad.

I had some LokSound decoders a few years ago. I found it hard to get an individual feature volume to rise above the whole muted to a reduced level using Master Volume settings. What I ended up doing was leaving the volume near full on the master setting, and taking the time to reduce each of those that annoyed me the most. Yes, it took more time, but the results were more satisfying over all. I had more control that way.

Unless you're using a non-standard decoder or DCC system, most of the CV's are now standardized. There are ranges of CV's where different manufactures can put special codes. Look in your decoder book or use a "calculator" as needed.

Not even close. The ONLY Cvs that are standardized by NMRA conformance are CVs 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 29. All the rest may have NMRA "recommendations", but are not mandatory. Decoder manufacturers are free to use the rest as they see fit. When it comes to sound decoders, the sheer number of CVs is almost mind numbing. Loksound decoders use over 1000 different configuration variables which also include the use of three upper register CVs !

Mark.

Back