Changing cv's on Atlas locomotime with QSI sound

I have just acquired an Atlas SD26 with QSI sound. I want to change some of the cv's, particularly the volume, which is a bit high for me.

I use NCE Powercab and it will not read the cv's on programming track mode and on 'programming on the main' setting it reads the cv's but will not accept any changes. Am I doing something wrong, or will the Powercab not work with QSI sound board?

The Atlas locomotives with Tsunami are very simple to reset as are Broadway ones.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. :)

If I remember correctly, you have to set CV50 to 0 first then set the master volume CV51?? to the value you want. Individual sounds can be adjusted was well but sometimes need 3 CVs changed. You'd have to download the manual for those numbers.

What CVs are you trying to access?

QSI uses "indexing" CVs that you have to set first - 49 is the primary index CV and 50 is the secondary index CV. You don't always have to use both. Check the docs.

For example to set the "Operations Mode System Volume" you set 49 to 0 and then set 51 to a value from 0 (muted) to 127 (max).

What happens when you try to use the programming track?

Programming on the main does not support reading CVs (at least not on any system I have worked with) but it should allow for setting CVs.

What happens when you try to use programming on the main.

If I try to use programming track I get "cannot read cv".

Using programming on main, it reads cv, but when I change any it does nothing (not saving the change).

I have downloaded the manual which is very long and complex. Will have another browse through it! :)

If I try to use programming track I get "cannot read cv".

Using programming on main, it reads cv, but when I change any it does nothing (not saving the change).

I have downloaded the manual which is very long and complex. Will have another browse through it! :)

I don't know how it could be reading during "programming on main" but let's ignore that.

Is this the first loco you've tried to program that has a QSI sound decoder?

Finally got around to trying again. After re-reading the manual, I set cv49 to 0 then cv 51 to various values until the volume sound about right for me. I like that the locomotive speaks the new settings!

Now just have to find out why the locomotive does not go through the "proper" start up sequence of sounds. Should take about 20 seconds before ready to run, but starts almost right away. Have not found the cv's to change yet - the manual is way too complicated for me!

Sorry, I can't be much help for this specific situation. But I have noticed with all sorts of electronic gear, the manuals are either written by someone who is not a native American English speaker or by someone so familiar with the device that they take it for granted that the consumer will be able to follow what they have written! It would be nice if the manual writers would send the manuals out for beta testing to folks who are first-time users of the product involved. The other thing is that some of the programmers get "too eloquent" with their programs, rather than KISSing (Keep It Simple Stupid) the soft/firmware. :(

Finally got around to trying again. After re-reading the manual, I set cv49 to 0 then cv 51 to various values until the volume sound about right for me. I like that the locomotive speaks the new settings!

Now just have to find out why the locomotive does not go through the "proper" start up sequence of sounds. Should take about 20 seconds before ready to run, but starts almost right away. Have not found the cv's to change yet - the manual is way too complicated for me!

I've gone over the documentation I have for QSI decoders (which might not match exactly the decoder you have) and CANNOT find any setting that controls that.

In the discussion of start-up/shutdown it describes the default function keys and the actions but it does not mention any related settings.

I've gone over the documentation I have for QSI decoders (which might not match exactly the decoder you have) and CANNOT find any setting that controls that.

In the discussion of start-up/shutdown it describes the default function keys and the actions but it does not mention any related settings.

Exactly the same on the manual I downloaded. I think it is quite simple on Tsunami equipped locomotives. Either turn on or off the long start up sequence. Oh that it was that simple on QSI. :confused:

Back