Central Valley Truss Bridge

Latest progress shot.....

P1000172.jpg

Michael,

That is going to look really nice! Great work on the fit. What kind of adhesive are you using? You may have mentioned it earlier and if so, I apologies.

Looking good!

Michael,

That is going to look really nice! Great work on the fit. What kind of adhesive are you using? You may have mentioned it earlier and if so, I apologies.

Looking good!

Thanks man. I'm just using the regular testors plastic cement. Sometimes I'll use CA for these kits, but most of the time I'll use the standard cement in orange tube.

Thanks man. I'm just using the regular testors plastic cement. Sometimes I'll use CA for these kits, but most of the time I'll use the standard cement in orange tube.

I cannot wait to see that when it's done. I love bridges! Several of those put together would look fantastic :)

..•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"★

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working on one of those kits on and off over the past year or two. I've been doing a lot of extra details to the kit like replacing the ties with wooden ties and handlaying the rails. I also have been painting the bridge to look very old and rusted. I used some new paints I got as an test and have to say they are really turning out well. My workshop is in a messa and I need to move my bench but as soon asI get it done I'll get to this kit and start a posting of my own. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I do. The kit is really fun to build but is not a snap together easy kit for sure. I think this bridge can really turn out nice with a little time to ensure you get it right.
Dave

I've been working on one of those kits on and off over the past year or two. I've been doing a lot of extra details to the kit like replacing the ties with wooden ties and handlaying the rails. I also have been painting the bridge to look very old and rusted. I used some new paints I got as an test and have to say they are really turning out well. My workshop is in a messa and I need to move my bench but as soon asI get it done I'll get to this kit and start a posting of my own. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I do. The kit is really fun to build but is not a snap together easy kit for sure. I think this bridge can really turn out nice with a little time to ensure you get it right.
Dave

Dave,

I know I'd be interested in seeing that :)

Meh its turning to look like crap. I just can't handle this kit right now. Its too difficult for me.

Its way too hard to get all these box girder pieces straight. And the joints look bad.

I'm not happy with this this kit. I may not even finish it. I may end up getting the Walthers single track truss kit. Or may go crazy, and get a pre-built brass bridge.

P1000174.jpg

Eh don't give up on it...but if you do, the walthers bridge is nice. They will fit ouble stock intermodal, but just barely. Either way, make sure you're having fun.

That's not looking that bad in the photo you have there. When you paint the bridge and weather it you will cover some of the issues but so far looks good. My thought is if you’re having problems and feel your beyond your ability then all you can do is grow and become better at building models. Take this kit as a way to learn and then if you want you buy the kit again and then with your new experience you'll conquer this kit the next time. Best part is you are learning and if you don't even get the bridge you will still have what you learned. Remember that and apply that to all your future builds.
Dave

I'd finish the kit. I don't see anything unforgivable, and what I do see could be fixed. Nobody's first craftsman kit comes out perfect. I've been doing them a while and I still make mistakes that I have to go back and fix or hide. I belong to one craftsman kit forum where guys talk about hiding mistakes. It happens to all of us. Stick with it. Even if it doesn't turn out to be a contest winner you'll still pick up skills and the next one will be better.

Dang .. I thought it was looking pretty good.
Sure looks better, to me, than the store bought one.
Keep plugging away .. Just don't rush it!

I thought your old one looked pretty cool. It depends on who is the critic. Some of the stuff I thought was unacceptable, my wife really liked. And her friends. Everyone has a different set of eyes.

I tore apart an old sawmill building, and later regretted it, after looking with a different set of eyes. It was carefully framed authentically like a real one and sheeted with tin foil, which I painted with hand mixed paint and brush to create a streaked effect. Skylights and a huge sliding door. I didn't think it was authentic enough, but I was being too picky. The eye is only going to take in so much stuff.

Anyway, get some paint on this one and put it in the background, at the very least. Someone may see it as exceptional!

No matter what, you are a pro!

lasm

It actually looks worse in person. You can't really see all the defects in the photos.

I've decided to get the Vollmer bridge, and use the CV kit to add details to the Vollmer bridge. I think I'll be happier that way.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I'll chalk this up as an experience. Next time hopefully I can handle these craftmen kits better.

I'll keep y'all posted when I get the new bridge in.

sorry it didn't work out, good info you provided. I put together one of the plate girder kits they have. Lot more simple but real time consuming. The detail is crazy good but it did take some time.

Try the 5 foot rule. Look at it from 5 feet away. You will be surprised how well it will look if you finish it. Weathering does wonders for bridges.

I have the older yellow version of that saw. It makes small cuts so easy. I tore the safety off because it got in the way more then made it safe.

Anything you build is better then what they do in a factory, yours has heart and soul in it.

Buzz.

Back