Cemr sd40 5396

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

CMMR

Just finished a CEMR SD40 that I had been working on for a while. I started with a Kato DC SD40 in Wisconsin Central colors that I stripped and added a bunch of detail parts to. I designed and printed the decals, painted it black and installed 5 LED's and an Econami decoder. Still need to block the light coming from the back of the ditch lights.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Impressive. That's an excellent job. Brings me backto when I custom painted my fleet of Atlas Alco units for my railroad, but I didn't have any decals made for it and had to do it letter by letter.

tootnkumin

Staff member
You're much more adventurous than me Gary P. I've got a Kato SD80MAC that I've got as far as getting the shell off for Loksound install. Seeing all those wires at least lets me know what I'm in for.

CMMR

You're much more adventurous than me Gary P. I've got a Kato SD80MAC that I've got as far as getting the shell off for Loksound install. Seeing all those wires at least lets me know what I'm in for.
Toot - most of those wires are for the 5 seperate LED's (front number board, front head lights, 2 separate ditch lights and rear light / number board) as well as the 2 leads for the speaker. I used miniature connectors so that I can remove the shell completely.

tootnkumin

Staff member
Toot - most of those wires are for the 5 seperate LED's (front number board, front head lights, 2 separate ditch lights and rear light / number board) as well as the 2 leads for the speaker. I used miniature connectors so that I can remove the shell completely.
The DC '80mac's board has only the 8 pin connector, and as you probably know from your one, only 2 LED's also attached to it, doing everything. Nice and tidy, but not modifiable for all the functions we require. Lot's of loose wires hanging about when replacing shells is a bugbear, which Athearn's are noted for (notorious even). Your use of miniature connectors is something I'll definitely look into. Kato's use of moulded light tubes (3 in this loco's case) have me wondering if I should try to retain them, or at least modify in length and attach the LED's to them with heat shrink. Connectors would be an advantage there if so.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.