Ceiling Train

So my wife and I are buying a house in March and the house has much more space than where I am currently at. However until I have the addition put on I wont have space for a layout. I was thinking of doing a "ceiling train" with a train that runs around the perimeter of the living room. Anyone know the best way to do this without issues and without the train, if it derails, falling to the ground? Yes shelving is the first priority. These shelves will be repurposed after my layout is done so they will be strong.

I have used the following hidden shelf brackets to support a shelf railroad. You can get these on Amazon and other locations. I would want the track as close to the edge as possible so I could see everything from the rails on up. Then I would put a "railing" of clear plexiglass about half the height of the rolling stock to keep stock from falling in case of a derailment. Depending on the scale, wheels, track, and roadbed the sound may be more than you expect and heard throughout the house. Maybe you have enough space to work on a sectional railroad? Google "Heart of Georgia Model Railroad".
1705860835403.jpeg

So my wife and I are buying a house in March and the house has much more space than where I am currently at. However until I have the addition put on I wont have space for a layout. I was thinking of doing a "ceiling train" with a train that runs around the perimeter of the living room. Anyone know the best way to do this without issues and without the train, if it derails, falling to the ground? Yes shelving is the first priority. These shelves will be repurposed after my layout is done so they will b, Ie strong.
I built an around the room ceiling train back in 2013, we were renting and I wanted a layout. I suspended it from the ceiling using fishing line, I think I only used about 6 suspension points in a 12 x 24? room.

This video shows the whole layout, as I was showcasing the backdrop it does not do a good job of showing how I made it.

I used 3/8" mahogany plywood with 1" lumber used in places to stiffen it. You will notice there is no shield, however somehow nothing broke. We were renting and I did not want to make holes in the wall, just anchored this layout after locating rafters and selecting suspension points that way. When it was time to dismantle, just a few spots of spackle and I was done with the cleanup. I probably have a thread on this somewhere that shows how I built it.

Dave LASM

Impressive DIY work! Using 3/8" mahogany plywood and strategic 1" lumber for reinforcement shows clever design. The no-shield approach and the non-invasive anchoring for rental ease are thoughtful touches, making cleanup a breeze. Your resourcefulness shines through in this project 😀.
Just an FYI, we check regularly for spam links, and remove the links and the member posting them when we find them.

Back