caterpillar load for an intermountain flat car

riss2509

engco18
I finally picked up a load for my intermountain flat car. its a caterpillar 950g endloader. how do I add the chains that come with the flat car to secure the load/ i also picked up some balsa wood to trim down, and use shoe dye, to chock the wheels. any pics would help alot! thanks guys

Did it come with chains? If not, you could go into any large craft store and try to find jeweler's chain. I found some at Michael's for about $2.00 for 2-3ft.

the IMRC cars come with plastic chain links with the pretensioner attached to tightin it down. I ve been looking for pics to study locations and such, but, no luck so far.

These photos should be helpful. Pretty basic, just block the wheels with some wood and use the binder to attachment points, across the articulation joint, and over the bucket arms.

thanks for the pics! Funnelfan, I see the locations, did you place the load first, then mount the chains? looks like 4 on the rear, 2 sides and 1 across the front? Also, you placed them in the middle and side channels? Thanks

Ted, those are some nice looking loads and chain jobs. Where did you get the turnbuckles and tensioners?

Loads look very good. Great work on the tie-downs. How many HO gallons of Armor-All did the tires on the wheeled loader require?

most heavy equipment has a tie down location. i know i've seen HO scale turnbuckle tie down kits, but can't find one at the moment. failing that, or if you want to keep it low cost, some black thin thread can do for a tie down chain in a pinch. never seen construction equipment on a flat car up close, but on all the tractors and combines i've dealt with they use a fairly light gauge chain, and they use a lot of it. usually the flat cars with wooden decks had a few planks cut short to expose the metal frame, and the chains were secured to that is i remember right (wish i paid attention now) http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/55-17/ch20.htm some pretty cool info on loading heavy equipment onto rail cars

Back