Can an Athearn RTR SD40-2 make a 18in curve???

NSGP38-2

St. Denis MD Railfan
My friend and I are going to test his SD40-2 on my layout... but just wanted to hear some opinions on this matter.. because I want to get an NS or UP one and i don't want to have to buy it and figure out that it won't work...

Thanks
Mark

If the track is laid correctly with no kinks or bad joints, and the curve isn't on a grade, it will work. It won't look too good due to the amount of overhang and you'll have to check your clearances because those big front porches will really stick out. However, if you really want to run six axle power like an SD-40, it will work.

If the track is laid correctly with no kinks or bad joints, and the curve isn't on a grade, it will work. It won't look too good due to the amount of overhang and you'll have to check your clearances because those big front porches will really stick out. However, if you really want to run six axle power like an SD-40, it will work.

Make sure you have enough coupler swing so the loco won't pull the cars out of the curve.

Tested it... and it works.... got an Athearn RTR CSX SD38-2... runs great... pics to follow on "Showin Off ".

Well my SD40-2 worked on my layout, and if it worked there it will work anywhere ;) I donno how much radius are my curves but surely between 18" and 20". Here's one example :)

Arch_8.jpg

Back