Can a SPROG 3 do anything a PowerCab and NCE USB interface can't?

CbrandonB

Hi all,

I'm debating between just buying a Sprog 3 (the 3 amp version) and an NCE Power Cab with USB interface. I'm basically wanting to run 2 or 3 HO trains at once and maybe control a few turnouts. I will buy a boosters as I add turnouts, but as far as functionality, is there any difference between the NCE USB interface and a Sprog? I would normally just go with the Sprog and use WiThrottle, but I'm liking the idea of physical buttons, especially when something goes wrong, but also for my father-in-law who is an old school model railroader.

It seems like the last time I looked into this, the NCE USB interface was a one way street, but it looks like they may have released a new version (7) that opens up more possibilities. Is that right? Or am I way off base?

Thanks!

Brandon

...as far as functionality, is there any difference between the NCE USB interface and a Sprog?..
The thing to comes to mind for me is with a Sprog, you have to have your computer on to run trains. I do have a computer with JMRI in my train room, but I do not leave the computer on all the time.. There are times when I want to go in there and run a train for just a few minutes - I may want to test out a new purchase, our demonstrate my trains or DCC to someone, or even just to run a train for a few minutes to relax before going to bed At these times, I do not want to have to wait for my computer to power up before I can run the trains.

...but I'm liking the idea of physical buttons, especially when something goes wrong, but also for my father-in-law who is an old school model railroader...

I would agree here. While the smartphone throttles are well designed and certainly usable, I still much prefer a throttle with physical knobs and buttons. This is especially true when I am switching and with my Digitrax throttles I can control the loco with the throttle in one hand and manipulate the couplers with the other without ever having to look at the throttle.

...It seems like the last time I looked into this, the NCE USB interface was a one way street, but it looks like they may have released a new version (7) that opens up more possibilities...

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you are talking about the USB interface not passing information from NCE input devices to the computer, I believe that is correct, but that is something that you would not get with the Sprog, anyway. If you are talking about read back from a decoder, then that is incorrect, the USB does everything a throttle does.

Back