Calling out extreme postage prices…

With international shipping costs soaring like this, the upside is that it may encourage more domestic manufacturing for domestic markets everywhere.

In theory, this might mean a company like KATO spreads out into...say...KATO North America, KATO EU, etc., in somewhat the same way BMW's are made here in the US.

But does anyone actually think this will happen soon? Ever?
I don't either. But it's a nice theory.

With international shipping costs soaring like this, the upside is that it may encourage more domestic manufacturing for domestic markets everywhere.

In theory, this might mean a company like KATO spreads out into...say...KATO North America, KATO EU, etc., in somewhat the same way BMW's are made here in the US.

But does anyone actually think this will happen soon? Ever?
I don't either. But it's a nice theory.
No, main reason why China makes so much stuff is cheaper labour, main reason Hornby moved it's manufacturing there.

I ended up using the Woodland Scenics Brown Tufts…which are cheaper and I didn’t have any hassle in finding a supplier.. Otter Valley in this case

460A6BCA-7C91-492B-8027-3B945BECB1FE.jpeg

You might see if the seller will send the items at "book rate," which is quite slow, but still mostly reliable. USPS for that, if you can get it.

This problem could be because they use USPS/or other physical location pickup (so "fuel prices") ,which adds to the cost. As a rule examine all options, and look for a "rate calculator" (based on zip codes). They SHOULD have a slow and cheap option, and if they don't give 'em a pass, just as you say.

BTW, in my recent experience UPS rates are about 40% higher than Fed-Ex, and the latter are still about twice the USPS rates.
USPS Priority Mail is quite cheap. When I was selling my heavy G scale track on EBay this year it reduced the rate for a heavy box of 12 pieces by about 50 bucks. The seller has to use the USPS Priority Mail Boxes or envelopes. Perhaps your seller is just lazy or unconcerned.

I've bought stuff from both East and the West Coast, to the UK. One of the most expensive items postal wise was a EMD, at around $60, via USPS, so when a seller wants $70+ postage for a $10 motor, I'm not sure if that's just being greedy, or stupid, for that size/weight item I can expect to pay between $7-$10, quite often less.

I think part of the costs and issue with shipping is that in addition to international requirements, e-commerce sales to the UK got more complicated after Brexit. Keep in mind that to ship something from the US to the UK that is considered a "purchase" (i.e. you're not sending a package to your family), the seller has to:

-Complete customs declaration and paperwork
-Calculate and collect VAT, which is now generally around 20% (before Brexit, VAT was generally paid by the buyer upon arrival at customs; now the seller has to collect and record it before export)
-Depending on the value of the item(s) sold, the seller may have to establish an account with the UK tax system, HMRC
-Depending on frequency of transactions and value, the seller may have to make quarterly VAT fee payments to HMRC

Also keep in mind that with Brexit, the UK eliminated the low-value tax exemption, so VAT now has to be collected for everything imported from the US, regardless of value. Previously, something like a $10 motor would have been exempt.

That's a fair amount of work for a seller who doesn't have a business large enough to have an international processing system. He/she would have to figure out the customs and tax requirements, setup applicable accounts, do customs paperwork, and account for required VAT fees. I could see someone thinking, "Well that's gonna take about two hours of work to figure out, add in VAT, packaging, air shipping, etc. and that comes to about $70."

I think part of the costs and issue with shipping is that in addition to international requirements, e-commerce sales to the UK got more complicated after Brexit. Keep in mind that to ship something from the US to the UK that is considered a "purchase" (i.e. you're not sending a package to your family), the seller has to:

-Complete customs declaration and paperwork
-Calculate and collect VAT, which is now generally around 20% (before Brexit, VAT was generally paid by the buyer upon arrival at customs; now the seller has to collect and record it before export)
-Depending on the value of the item(s) sold, the seller may have to establish an account with the UK tax system, HMRC
-Depending on frequency of transactions and value, the seller may have to make quarterly VAT fee payments to HMRC

Also keep in mind that with Brexit, the UK eliminated the low-value tax exemption, so VAT now has to be collected for everything imported from the US, regardless of value. Previously, something like a $10 motor would have been exempt.

That's a fair amount of work for a seller who doesn't have a business large enough to have an international processing system. He/she would have to figure out the customs and tax requirements, setup applicable accounts, do customs paperwork, and account for required VAT fees. I could see someone thinking, "Well that's gonna take about two hours of work to figure out, add in VAT, packaging, air shipping, etc. and that comes to about $70."

Exactly where did you get the information from that you've based this on?

Exactly where did you get the information from that you've based this on?

From various shipping information sites, namely:

From various shipping information sites, namely:

We're going off topic here, but I'll try and reply, it is interesting information, but both articles deal with Business sellers, who are presumably selling high volumes of their products to the UK.

Individuals, or companies that seller much smaller quantities, don't need to go through all that hassle, they can, and do, just fill in a Customs Declaration form, and post, as long as you've told the buyer they are responsible for import taxes etc. your good.

If you sell through someone like eBay and use their international postal system, they do it for you, the seller then only receives the actual item price, nothing else, so do not need to register with HMRC as eBay are the registered importer and they pay HMRC any taxes due.

However, I, as a private individual buying say a Model Locomotive, for myself, I do not need to pay import tax. any any item valued at under £135. But the Taxman wants his share, so they have a sneaky way of getting it.

If say I buy from you a Locomotive, value £110, postage and insurance, is £35, total £145, I have to pay Import Tax and VAT, if the postage was £19 then only VAT is payable.

Also A bug bear I have is that Sellers in the US don't correctly fill in the Declaration form, there are two important boxes on the form,

1) Description.
2) Category or Tariff Code.

1) should read "TOY" invariably they write "Merchandise" however merchandise means I am importing the item for resale not private use.
2) is usually left blank, (Tariff/ Category Code for a Model Locomotive is 950300) so HMRC don't know exactly what's in it, and the correct Import tax (if any) to apply, so they error on the side of caution and assume I'm a business (because Description box say's "Merchandise") which then attracts a higher % of import tax.

That means after I've paid the Import Tax and VAT, and received the item I have to print out the original advert for the item, (usually a screenshot) two pages of documentation, when, where, price paid, postage etc. and a foto's of the actual item, including the packaging and send that off and hopefully get either a full or partial refund of the Import tax.

This is a link to the UK Government Tax and Customs website for goods sent from overseas, if your interested.

Since the start of the pandemic shipping on stuff I used to buy is crazy within the States. Shipping based on something other than weight. Even seen stuff you could put in a first class envelope go for over $5 in shipping.

Back