California Rail Civil War Era?

troyphoto

Snarky Old Fart (in training)
My Google Fu is failing me.

For an upcoming mystery story, I'm trying to plot out how something would get from the Civil War Southern states (probably Texas) into California.

But, without the transcontinental, I can't locate any lines coming into So-Cal in the early 1860s

Anyone have suggestions on lines to look up?

And a corollary - were there any lines operating N-S through the lower end of the central valley in the 1860s-80s? I've found the California Southern up through Cajon Pass, but that line was built a little later than I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help!

My Google Fu is failing me.

For an upcoming mystery story, I'm trying to plot out how something would get from the Civil War Southern states (probably Texas) into California.

But, without the transcontinental, I can't locate any lines coming into So-Cal in the early 1860s

Anyone have suggestions on lines to look up?

And a corollary - were there any lines operating N-S through the lower end of the central valley in the 1860s-80s? I've found the California Southern up through Cajon Pass, but that line was built a little later than I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help!
Transcontinental - NO. Most goods from Texas to California prior to 1900 went by steamship to Panama, then overland on the Panama Railway (built 1855), and then loaded back on boats for the journey to CA. Panama Canal was more than 40 years later. The SP and ATSF lines didn't even begin to come together (even partially) until 25 years after the war. The UP/CP transcontinental line was much further north and wasn't completed until 1869. An overland route was possible but was subject to Indian attacks, deadly heat, and Mexican outlaws, no wall then!
Using the steamship-railroad-steamship scenario would give you opportunities for some interesting sub-plots.

Here would be a good place to start research: https://www.loc.gov/collections/railroad-maps-1828-to-1900/?fa=location:california

As to Southern California in the 1860's, there was little American or European settlement east of the the coastal areas originating from the Spanish colonial period. The gold and silver was the main attraction and it was all in Northern California attracting nearly all the European origin settlement/exploitation population. The lower end of the San Joaquin valley area such as Kern County was either arid or vast Tule lakes with no outlet. Not until the post civil war era and the development of water sources did this area attract settlement.

Amongst the maps cited above, there is a very intriguing 1853 survey of a possible RR route over Tejon Pass (aka the Grapevine on I-5) conducted under the auspices of then U.S. Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, to link the Pueblo de Las Angeles with the Central Valley.

A good start mystery would be based in the intentions of Southern interests to expand slavery to California in the 1850's and 60's and intrigue surrounding the Southern domination of territorial policy in the War Department up to 1861. You might read the rollicking Harry Flashman series of novels by George MacDonald Fraser particularly Flash For Freedom to picture the intrigue in Washington at the time.

Don't forget the European involvement. The French were trying to conquer Mexico in the 1860's to make it a client state or colony like Algeria (why we celebrate Cinco de Mayo) and the British were not hostile to the Southern cause for commercial reasons while holding their noses about slavery.

Last edited:
Google "Crazy Judah". Theodore Judah set up the California Pacific Railroad, and advocated for a transcontinental railroad, eventually getting the Central Pacific's major investors together. Unfortunately, on his way to New York by way of the Ismuth of Panama, he contracted yellow fever and died! Don't know if this is any help, but you might be able to use some of the info.

You may be outa luck. If you want railroads in the west you pretty much have to be in the 1870's -1890's. If you wanted to build a railroad in California you would have to ship all the supplies, rail, engines and metal car components from the east coast to the west coast around South America, very expensive. As a result, there was very little railroad activity on the west coast until after the the transcontinental line.

I was hoping for a Sacramento to LA run. Looks that that is out. But the Crazy Judah connection may let me go with more of a National Treasure approach instead of the The Great Train Robbery.... We'll throw in some Holes... and helping of Harry Potter a la Caliornia and we've got a mystery in the modern age. :p

The below link has some history of early railroads in California, several before 1865. I also thought that Fort Tejon had played a role in the Civil War, guarding the central valley from any Confederate incursion but can only find info on cattle rustling, bandits and Mojave Indian raids. There was a "Civil War" Battle in Northern California that was not more than a drunken brawl at best. The Battle of Washoe House.

Here's the railroad link: https://www.railswest.com/history/californiabeginnings.html

Scroll down to the Los Angeles & San Pedro Railroad. May be some help, ships traveling the Pacific Coast from Panama or around the Horn would most likely be the source for any incursion into California.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Back