Burned-out transformer?

weekendrailroader

Guy with the Green Hat
Well, I've got a problem.
I had two transformers for my D.C. powered layout. One was a Life-Like "train-set" transformer, and the other was a nicer Spectrum "Magnum" unit (bought used at Value Village). The Spectrum Magnum worked well for awhile, but all of sudden it up and quit today. I can hear it quietly humming when I turn it on, but there's no power to the track. Now I'm using TWO Life-Like train-set transformers (which can only be used for so long, since they overheat with extended use). Honestly, I can't afford a new transformer ($70!? What about college, car, gas for car, insurance for car, savings...?):eek:

Is there any way I could repair the transformer, or do they contain dangerous, possibly fatal amounts of charge? Any idea what's wrong with it? Fried?

I just imagine myself in the near future running my trains with a 9 volt battery held to the rails.:(

Thanks.

Depends on what went out. If it's just a basic transformer it shouldn't have any capacitors or anything in it. The MRC pack I pulled apart a year or two ago just had a little transformer, a few diodes, and some switches. I suspect that either the diodes or the switches are your problem, and both should be easy enough to test with a multimeter. (Sounds like the problem is in the direction switch, or the diodes are bad. Does the accessory output still work, or is it all down?)

No you won't get hurt as long as you unplug before messing with it. All your newer packs have a transistorized voltage regulator, they get hot as you run trains and they burn out. They have a metal tab screwed to a heat sink and should have dielectric compound on to help dissipate the heat but most don't and then they overheat. I've replaced many on Troller packs.

Burned out transformer

Hi Weekender.
I have a couple of cheapie Tyco power packs that you can have. They both work. Just pay USPS cost. Don't know what they will charge.
PM me, let me know where and I'll get them in the mail to you. I trust that you will make payment after I mail them and find out how much. Quite possibly no more than $5.00
Good luck.
Mac

Back