Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

1.) Near the back corner of the room there is a red pen/marker lying on the floor. It appears to have been rotated roughly 30-40 degrees clockwise.
2.) On the middle left of the picture is what looks like the red handle of a pair of pliers (only one side of the pliers can be seen). These have been flipped over.
3.) Between the pliers and the pen is a small pile of screws. These have been moved to the left (and the pile is slightly more compact).
4.) In the middle of the picture is the red Jig saw. The white plug of the extension cord that it is plugged into has been moved to the right roughly six inches.
5.) Roughly to the 11 O'clock position of the pile of wood is a black triangle (screening, sand paper, not quite sure what it is) that has been rotated roughly 90 degrees counter clockwise and slightly away from the pile.
6.) Near the back corner of the room is what looks like a white light box. In front of that, is a board with a white thing on it.
7.) At the bottom of the photo is the dust buster with two boards sitting on the handle. In the second photo, these boards have been moved off of the dust buster.
8.) Window has been closed in the second photo.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh... Slider windows. Got it. Wow. Even with you pointing it out I still missed it.

Okay, Igor and I have made other 'prize' plans. Shipping a box to the Ukraine is nearly impossible, not to mention expensive. So that leaves us two tree prizes. For the 500,000 mark I planned on the HO 2-8-0 for a prize. I suppose I could add the HO/O scale trees. So you HO/O modeler have a big chance at the half million mark. I guess I could sell the N trees if anyone wants them. Thoughts? Jim:)

pile of nails in upper left has been moved to edge of board
2 boards moved off portable vacuum
window is closed
pliers?? handle on left is turned over
board with whit piece of paper is moved and also a black scrap of something on the board has been removed
red marker/pen in upper corner of room has been rotated
triangular piece of scrap at upper edge of wood pile has moved farther away
plug where jigsaw is plugged in to white cord has been shifted to the right which has shifted the whole cord
small scrap of something just to the right of the nail pile has been shifted
small scrap between sander and board with the nail pile has been added
Don'tknow if you counted these, looks like 3 boards on wood pile have shifted slightly particularly the on with nails sticking up
these are everything I saw. spent several hours comparing. This has been a real mind bender!

guess I'm a day late and a dollar short. It was a good excersise.

Last edited by a moderator:
BL, Welcome to the Contest! It was won yesterday in about 45 minutes. Thanks for playing though.:)

Dan or anyone else interested in my N scale trees, I will count them today. I will post the number I have and we'll go from there via Private Mail. Figure I will sell them at 1/3 their value. Jim:)

Thanks Jim, next time I will better prepared. That old saying prevails "you snooze you lose". It was fun though. Bill:eek:

Moving on. One of the things I enjoy in our hobby is putting together kits. I have found this is more fun in HO/O than the smaller scales however! The final layout will probably begin after Labor Day so in the meantime to keep me busy I've decided to build this:

IMG_8114_zps7nly88uw.jpg

Funny how our hobby works. I first saw the Boulder Valley Models advert may seven years ago. I was in Z scale. For years something has made me get into larger scales. Maybe it was this model that did it. Anyway, this will be a working model and I need an HO chassis like this one:

IMG_8113_zpsu6orrkuu.jpg

This is a HO SW-7 switcher chassis. It runs great and will be the foundation of the build. Jim:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, that looks to be right up my alley. One of my favorite configurations. Good luck with the build. Looking forward to photos of the progress. Will you install a decoder? Bill:)

Right Bill, This has been on my list for years.

Got a PM about the chassis. I followed the directions and took off the front trucks, left side in the photo. When I put it back together the motor and gears and stuff wouldn't sit level. So I tied a cord around the motor and leveled it out. Ran good either way, but the engine covers wouldn't fit correctly with the hump. Ingenuity at work. Also you may notice that I've Dremeled off the outside of the trucks. The directions wanted me to rebuild the truck, gears and all, using the supplied archbars. No way I have the technical know how at this point to do that so again I figured out a way to simply attach the archbars to the sanded area. These trucks are so far underneath the overhang of loco deck to be invisible for the most part. You may also notice that the coupler boxes at each end of the chassis are sanded off. Jim :)

Next step in the Dunkirk build is the deck shown here:

IMG_8115_zpsjzx8jpje.jpg

I've painted and weathered it even though the top will be mostly covered. It is the sides that will be seen.

Also, the Archbar trucks I mentioned. I'm not machinist and rebuilding these wheel sets is a bit much for me. So I sanded the outside of the metal trucks and glued on the Archbar. Notice you have much difficulty seeing the old trucks behind and undernearth the overhang of the deck. Jim:)

IMG_8116_zpsxudenpp6.jpg

Back