Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Hopefully for many of you this photo will be your last look at snow for awhile. Jim:)

snow%20closeup_zpskz57lyrg.jpg

Rdmnky, Welcome. No worries about hijacking here, somehow it always gets back to modeling. I liked the cigar box guitar. Do they make a decent sound with no electrics? I'm not musical in anyway.

I met a fellow at my LHS last summer that found this thread. He knew it was me, but never said anything the few times we'd been there together. One day one of the Grognards that worksthere asks me if "I'm the guy" here. The fellow says, 'Yes, he is.' We all had a laugh. I haven't seen him since,so who knows? Gad you found it though. Participate as you wish. Jim:D

Thanks for the welcome ... They do the gentleman in the video is Paul aka Neanderpaul (search the tube) he's quite talented musically and in other areas ... Met through my old car club ... When he built his first it was acoustic ... That didn't last long ... Kinda similar line of thought in our modeling though... He thought this is the way they did it and worked off a picture

Rdmnky, You're welcome. As for modeling I've always been a proponent of "copying" the work of others. While I wouldn't use their words I don't have a problem studying the work of others. I don't copy per se, because I have found out over the years that folks recognize my work no matter the area I'm trying to model. I'm saying it looks like we all have our habits and techniques perfected to such an extent that duplication can't really happen. Sort of like fingerprints. I enjoy the work of others, but some how my work is always different from theirs. Jim:eek:

Remember the tree bark thread? I've seen an tried about all the methods. Take a look at the snow photo above. Check out the bark on those two trees. I'm not sure I can find what not to like? So, next round I will make my tree bark the same way, scribing with a saw. I may be more careful to get as many different scribes as I can taking just a bit more time per tree. Jim :D

Rdmnky, Yes, that is all you do. There is a picture on Page 303 of my saw. Further back in this thread is a how to, but the real question is 'how find!' Jim:D

Rdmnky, Yes, I still have much in both Z and N. In fact my Z collection is right up there at the top in impossible to find unique items in the steam backwoods era. I even have the only Climax in Z scale I've ever seen. I made it! Static model. I also have an operating Climax in N Scale along with logging cars and many one of a kind cars I've made. Jim:)

Would you have more info on how you made it; I can't find one in n I'm modeling backwoods Appalachia focusing on lumber in 1917-1928

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having trouble finding the type of flat cars they used with the track for the steam loader to move from car to car on so I already figure I'm building them ... I was planing on HO but the CFO rezoned the space allotted so now I'm reconfiguring for n ... Sorry for the double post I'm on the mobile before work lol.

roadmonkey, I, too, have to negotiate with my CFO as well. She (assuming yours is your better half too!) is also my CEO and COO. Only my negotiations are for funds for expansion and supplies. My space is adequate Shes says "you want money for what?" . lol Bill:D

Back