Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

JPIII, This is good photo for Joe. It shows what can be done with an 'L' layout. By adding another portal under the switchback mountain his layout idea could work. Thanks. Jim:D

At the moment I'm doing facia......and changing plans for it as we go. I'll use up the 1/2 inch lacquered MDF, then switch to 1/4......if I ever get my other spray gun back....I'm on the wrong end of lending tools this time but will remember it when on the other end.

I really need to get back to work on landscaping & detailing same.....and that last 4-5 feet of track.

Salmon season comes up in a couple weeks and there is 2 weeks or a month or so down the tubes. When I was younger, I could do both in a walk....now I gotta walk a couple miles per day just to keep in decent ( but shaky) shape...the old bod is wearin' out, I guess...gettin' old ain't all it's cracked up to be but the alternative really sucks.

Good luck on your new layout......I know it's not a matter of luck but living long enough IS the key.:D

Have fun salmon fishing. I actually caught a smaller cousin on my vacation! Jim:cool:

008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG .. Stoker, Now that's funny!

Jim, Wife just received a rather large box of stuff. The inside of the box was lined with 2 inch styrofoam - 4 pieces approx 2x24x48. I will save if you can use it, plus a big screen TV which has 6-8 rather large chunks approx 4x8x12.

I know it's not foamboard, but can you use it?
When you are ready for the large wrecking ball, I plan to come help you -- if you want.
I will bring it (and other stuff) then.

While we're waiting, here's a another low res photo from me. Some thing's amiss but I can't figure out exactly what.:cool: ......
picture.php

What it might be is a lack of actual use. I see a lot of wood waste and clutter from the work done, but no dirty/sawdusty stuff. It looks too neat and clean, just cluttered.

Trampled bushes, torn up grass, exposed and thrown about dirt -- the stuff people do and leave all the time.
Drag marks, too...

Just a thought.

Modeling chaos is a stinker. All I have as guides is what I've seen in clear cuts and old photos in B&W. Layering the "stuff" in is an art from that I don't have a handle on as yet.....mother nature is good at it repairing the damage though. In most cases, a 5 to 10 year old clear cut in the NW is such that one can't see the ground for the over growth......all that rain is good for something. Tramping around a 5 year old clear cut is best avoided.....they are ankle biters & leg breakers.

That said, yours is a valid criticism. I'm not totally satisfied with that small area I've done and will work a getting better at it. I now have a better selection of crap and (hopefully) a better sequence of "layering it in". God knows I'm going to get enough practice.:D

Stoker, That's funny. Total cost to catch it was probably $500! Well worth it.

Sherrel, Get rid of that foam. I bought a 70" TV this January and the packing foam is not something I'm interest in. Check with HD or Lowe's up there and see if they carry Pink or Blue extruded foam.

JPIII, Az Rock & Mineral Co. makes a product call Foliage Aspen & Birch Autumn Gold. I makes great sawdust. Simply sprinkle it on for current logging or put it in a bowl, add liquid weathering, and let dry and you have 'old sawdust.' Jim

Sherrel, Yes, extruded polystyrene. Problem here in SoCal is we don't need much insulation. The 2 inch thick sheets are best. Let me think about it. No hurry. Thanks. Jim

Stoker, No worries. While knocking off a few First Ascents in the mountains near Ketchikan we stumbled across a lake called Texas Lake. Same deal trout where killing each other to get on our hooks. It can happen. We were so far from the cops we had no worries. Jim:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherrel, Yes, extruded polystyrene. Problem here in SoCal is we don't need much insulation. The 2 inch thick sheets are best. Let me think about it. No hurry. Thanks. Jim

Have a brother in law here who is job boss on multi million home remodels in LA.
Will have him look around .. Back later on this.

Meanwhile .. Back to the fishin!

Hey jim! The NZ All-Blacks have just won the 1st game of 3 in the Bledisloe Cup against the Australian Wallabies at ANZ Stadium in Sydney, 47-29. The Wallabies scored the last Try in the last minute of the game. (Thought I'd tell you that bit just to prove I'm not a totally biased Kiwi)

Toot, Not totally biased? Sounds suspicious to me! I'm pretty much limited to Euro rugby reruns, Union only thanks, here in San Diego. Only NZ rugby is League which I can't stand. Don't know why I don't have the Bledisloe Cup on currently? I'm going to check. Thanks. Jim

Rugby League Jim!!?? The All-Blacks and the Wallabies Jim!!??I I can see your knowledge of down-under needs some instruction. :p:rolleyes:

Toot, I meant all I get to see on my channel is NZ Rugby League at this time. I don't like sevens either. Jim:)

Ahh, I see. League was always "bigger" in the eastern states of Aus than Union but NZ was the other way round till relatively recently. They've also tightened up the rule on the throw-in on scrums. If it doesn't go in straight to the ref's satisfaction, a penalty is awarded to the other side, don't think it's appreciated by the players. Unlike league where they throw it back to their own side, makes a scrum seem pointless.

Announcement: Resumption of the PMC&T Company Southern Division will commence shortly after Labor Day here in the US. Going fishing for the holiday.

I will set up a couple of 'final' photos and then take the trees off. Hopefully only the bench work remaining by the following weekend.

My Open House in conjunction with the National Narrow Gauge Convention a 120 miles North of me is this coming Tuesday. I don't expect very many visitors to travel that far, but we'll see. Jim

Announcement: Resumption of the PMC&T Company Southern Division will commence shortly after Labor Day here in the US. Going fishing for the holiday.

I will set up a couple of 'final' photos and then take the trees off. Hopefully only the bench work remaining by the following weekend.

My Open House in conjunction with the National Narrow Gauge Convention a 120 miles North of me is this coming Tuesday. I don't expect very many visitors to travel that far, but we'll see. Jim

Jim, it has been a fun ride and hope the open house goes well !

Mike

Back