Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

He knows I'm only kidding. He built my layout in 2010. One time he e-mailed me and said Lee 've got bad news. I thought maybe his dog or cat had knocked it off on the floor, I almost had a heart attack. Then he told me he had run out of trees and would be getting some in in about a week. Ask him about the slut" he put ast my train station. You know I've had it for almost two years now and everytime I go to run it I find something that I hadn't seen before. The sign of an excellent scenary and layout maker. Lee Barry

Thanks Steve, Lee and I go back a ways. But Lee is correct: I'm a pretty poor example of a motion photographer. I don't have modern digicam, mine still uses tape. I know I have one on my camera, but truthfully I have no clue if it even works! :eek:

Layout update: I've been trying to fit the much smaller, broken and crooked dock and tipple scene onto the layout. Big trouble. Between the CFO working and not being able to lend much of a hand, having to hold the scene with one hand and work with the other it is slow frustrating going. Jim:)

I screwed down what was left of the engine house and tipple scene. I think I'm happy with this spot. The new track will loop around the foreground and pass between the middle track and dock scene. I'm a left hand turnout short so I will have get one. Jim:)

IMG_3922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jim,
Just remember this ols sheetmetal mechanics' adage" A roll of duct tape and a frsh coat of paint will hide a number of sins. When you don't know what you're gonna do just think of that little train,"Ithink I can,I think I can ! Lee

Thanks Kevin, much appreciated.

Toot, Yes it looks like I have to do something doesn't it? I didn't visualise this issue before I start tearing this side up! This 'look' is only temporary possibly. If I leave the pier there I won't have to do anything about my desk. If I move it closer to where it was, even two inches, I will have shorten the desk. But, I may be able to use a turnout at the middle bridge to reach the tipple then. Between the Olympics, doctors appointments, and senior softball three days a week it is hard to find time to even attempt to make decisions right now. Jim:(

I thought you learned you lesson about the art of softball last year. When you are playing senior league softball and a hot grounder comes your way you act as tho you are going to catch the ball then get out of the damn things way. An error is a lot better than "stitches in the mouth" or worse. Ha,ha Lee

That's correct Lee. I had the stiches, but I'm still handsome as ever! Slow learner though.

Below is a shot of the track plan for the tipple if I leave the pier where it is now. The curve to the tipple would be flex track and be a sharper curve. No problem with the little ore cars. I would have to expand the bridge to hold the turnout and two tracks. No problem. Jim:)

IMG_3923.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as everything fits and clears. Remember what you told me about my SD40-2s clearing the end of my tunnel "a miss is as good as a mile. Keep playing ball and building model railroads. And if you haven't heard the Bruce Springsteen new song "Lookin For Easy Money" catch it sometime. Lee

That's a better view, yes you should be OK there. So all of this is because of the desk eh! That's the problem with alterations after something is built. 6 paces backward to make 1 forward.

A few years ago while doing some reno's to our house I built a wardrobe onto the back wall of the small spare bedroom, i.e. outside the wall. Now my missus (wife, in case the term is unfamiliar) wants me to take off the 2 middle doors (of 4) and build in a big set of drawers with a lift up door above (to retain access to the top shelf). I can do it but to make it look like it was meant to be that way presents problems.

And if you haven't heard the Bruce Springsteen new song "Lookin For Easy Money" catch it sometime. Lee

The only song that really stuck out to me on that album is "Death To My Hometown". Perhaps the rest will come in time.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I love that song also. This whole cd sounds like the "Boss" of old. Sir Paul ccartney says Bruce Sprinsteen IS todays music !!! OK 'bout stealin my thread.

I think I figured out how to avoid having to mess with the middle bridge. I shortened the long siding and will put these to turnouts back to back and easily make the curve to the tipple. Jim:)
IMG_3925.jpg

Toot, omg! I had to break out my Middle English dictionary to read your post.:) Thanks.

When I look at the photo of course, I realize that some scenery has to bite the dust, but it will all be replaced.

I got a PM yesterday asking why the middle and back areas of the layout seem a bit "nonfinished," were his words. Well, I mentioned way back that to affect a bit of depth that the layout was heavily sceniced with more plants and stuff in the front than it was in the back. In the back even the trees have less foliage on them. All for 'depth'.

All this said, the layout was actually just sitting waiting for this rebuild and I stopped for the most part adding scenery to this rebuild side. The other mining camp side is much more finished when it comes to scenery.

My best compliments from my two open houses this spring referred to depth of field and the feeling that the scenery in the back was far away. Jim:)

I'll blame it on the sedative I was given the previous day for a small "down under" procedure.

One day (no doubt soon, or if we haven't already) we'll have 3D digital cameras so we can post 3D pics to the forums, then we'll be able to add even more appreciation to your scenery skills, Jim.

MotherHubbard.jpg

Not to hijack the thread all the way back to page 33 but when I saw this photo the first thing that came to my mind was the detail. You have an attention to detail that makes me envious....very envious. This is something I don't have. The point I noticed on this picture was the wooden fence you have around the rock wall to catch loose rocks. This is ingenious. You are truly a master of the art.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Reid

The work jim puts out is just amazing, simply amazing...

You can just look at his pictures and study things and wonder why didnt I do this or do something half as good as jim does..

When i need some motivation, all i need to do is just start reading through jim's thread.

Again, jim thanks for sharing your amazing layout with all of us

Toot, If they come out with a 3D point and shoot I know I would buy one for sure. It would be nice to see in my lifetime. Thanks, Jim:)

Back