Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Thanks guys.

Manitobamodeler24, Welcome. This thread is based on helping young modelers and old modelers alike. Keep your eyes open and learn all you can not just model railroading, it is a great big world you're entering. Cheers, Jim :D

Build that gallows one Jim, then you'll have somewhere to hang that Pinnacle Creek carpenter from if he ever does those crook steps again. :p

Toot, I think we already strung that carpenter up!

Here's a photo of a close approximation of a three track yard. The container on the left is where the station will be. I have an issue with road access into this area. On plan is road along the little cliffs. The other is crossing the mainline twice in a short distance. The cliff road may be harder with a turntable. Jim

IMG_5937.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My feeling is, if the 2-8-0 needs a 10", then go with the 10". Once it is put in and scenery clutter is added, it will look great. I'm including a picture of Malcolm Furlows turntable from his "San Juan Central". - Chris m_cCharlie_Getz_020.jpg

Mike, What do you mean "used to love Malcolms work", as in the past tense. You mean his model railroading style. Anyway just curious. - Chris

Mike, What do you mean "used to love Malcolms work", as in the past tense. You mean his model railroading style or I have heard some of the things that happened when he lived in Dallas. Anyway just curious. - Chris
Last I heard he was living on a ranch he owns in Taos NM. Not any published work that I know of lately. Lovin Life , I guess.
You may want to look at this.
http://www.mccormickgallery.com/furlowtour.html
Mike

I'd try and retain the turntable (and go 10", you'll regret not being able to turn the 2-8-0). Will the grade crossings be where there's good visibility for both train crew as well as road users. (a good excuse to toot the whistle and ring the bell either way).

Toot, You and others are probably right about the 10 inch if I decide to go that way. If you look at my latest picture of the 3-track yard, post 1880, off in the distance is a tunnel portal. You can just make out a bridge and the road coming down the mountain near the canyon. Not much room to see trains coming from the left and the driver would get a fair look at anything crossing the bridge. Jim:)

I forgot to mention about that Malcolm Furlow gallows type turntable, he used an inexpensive Atlas manual turntable and then added ground cover, stained and painted it. He even changed the HO gauge to HOn3 gauge. Just a cheap turntable. - Chris

My opinion is the turntable in that picture doesn't fit in with the quality of the rest of the structures and scenery, we all know he could have done better.
Maybe he made it to show what could be done with a cheep TT? (advertisement)
If one could figure out how to incorporate a pit into the Atlas TT it would look much better, I don't like the full circle of boards even with the rails.
To me it doesn't look correct, why would a RR spend the money, thats alot of extra wood and labor ?
Again just my opinion
T.C.

IMG_5938.JPGThat carpenter has issues for sure!

Well, I guess I'm crossing the Rubicon vis-a-vis the turntable. Here is a 10 inch hole. I'm leaning toward a platform with a single gallows. Not sure yet. I want the whole assembly to be 60 years old and falling apart. Jim :)

That carpenter has issues for sure!

Well, I guess I'm crossing the Rubicon vis-a-vis the turntable. Here is a 10 inch hole. I'm leaning toward a platform with a single gallows. Not sure yet. I want the whole assembly to be 60 years old and falling apart. Jim :)

IMG_5938_zps95f8b05f.jpg
There you go , Decision made !

I like it .
Mike

Back