Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Well, it is Merry Christmas down under so here you go. Not the greatest but one of my favorites. I guess I like deep forests.
long view right side1 (2).jpg

Happy New Year! If one goes to the page 1 button and clicks it you will see I started this thread on Jan 1,2012. Today, 8 years later, I announce that this thread is ended. I can't thank all of you for being my friends because I'm sure I would leave someone deserving out. However, a special thanks to Admin Bob, for putting up with a thread of over 1.1 million views. Also a special thanks to Railrunner130 who has been on this thread from virtually Day One. The rest of you thank you, you know who you are, and I wish you all well. You have all stood by me in the thick and thin. I'm proud that this thread never had a fight, or even a scuffle amongst us all. Certainly a 'safe' place for newbies and the faint of heart. It has been fun and the best part was the feeling I got here that we were all on the same page so to speak. Threads are not generally like this. Much thanks again for that. And, that said it is time I retire. I will look in everyday to see if anyone needs a modeling question answered, but I have no more energy or content to share. That leaves us with the final "My favorite pics' picture. I call it "End of the Line." I feel it is my best photo showing what scenery is all about, what this thread was all about. It, fittingly, is HO. Take care, Jim
testing again1.jpgtss.jpg

Last edited:
This reminds me of the song Carol Burnett used to sing at the end of her show.
"I'm so glad we had this time together, just to have a laugh and sing a song.
Seems we just get started and before you know it, comes the time we have to say....... so long."
Thanks Jim, I enjoyed the journey. ;)
T.C.

Aahh, yes. The all time great scene. Remember it taking my breath away when first seeing it. What hasn't been mentioned is the practical aspect of the tufts of grass between the rails and ties as rollaway stops for any rolling stock parked on the siding. Always the one thinking outside the square. Thanks Jim.

Great work!

Your comment about less-than perfect trackwork is right on the money. I live in the heart of narrow gauge country in Colorado, (literally surrounded by old rail grades that served the twenty eight coal mines in my area!) and speed was the largest factor in constructing those tracks. Most of the real work was then done afterwards, time and money permitting, to improve what was already there. That's why so many spindly, shaky-looking trestles, too. Afterward, they were often filled in. I drive on one several times a week, appropriately named Trestle Road, that connects my old coal mining town a with a former, long-gone coal-camp named Radiant.

I also frequently drive up Phantom Canyon on the old Florence and Cripple Creek narrow gauge rail grand..same thing.

Great work!

Your comment about less-than perfect trackwork is right on the money. I live in the heart of narrow gauge country in Colorado, (literally surrounded by old rail grades that served the twenty eight coal mines in my area!) and speed was the largest factor in constructing those tracks. Most of the real work was then done afterwards, time and money permitting, to improve what was already there. That's why so many spindly, shaky-looking trestles, too. Afterward, they were often filled in. I drive on one several times a week, appropriately named Trestle Road, that connects my old coal mining town a with a former, long-gone coal-camp named Radiant.

I also frequently drive up Phantom Canyon on the old Florence and Cripple Creek narrow gauge rail grand..same thing.

Hey, Thanks for the history update. Fun to hear these stories. Spindly and shaky looking trestles are my kind of thing. Tell your friends about us.

I don't know if anyone will read this, but I went into the hospital on April 2, and got out the 15th. On the night of day 5, I'm sure I was knocking on Death's Door. (combination of drugs?) After a terrible 4 hours Death said, "Not yet." So here I am 5 weeks along and doing much better. I had a perforated small intestine. I have all new blood, A neg, and a 6 inch scar to prove it. I now have renewed respect for nurses and their helpers. Cheers, Jim

Back