Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

Started into the last phase of the construction. This is really getting me excited to get it completed now.

0302171931.jpg

Last edited:
Well then, while on the topic of the rivets, I'm kicking around the idea if I need to put rivets on the side that will face the window.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best Model Railroader in the world today, George Selios, stated why detail that which can not be seen. I am in complete agreement with this philosophy. I even took it one step further and didn't build a side of a structure that was not going to be seen. The structure is in the far back corner of my layout and it has lights in the office part of the building on the third floor. This part of the structure has all the walls so the interior, when lit, will be seen.

Your riveting portion of this build will be extensive and time consuming. I wouldn't waste a single minute; or, dollar on putting rivets on the back side of this bridge which likely will never be seen! People will assume the rivets are there, so let them ASS-U-ME away!

I only go by that window on the outside when I'm mowing the grass. Other than that, there has only been one time that I know of when someone looked in that window and that was a friend who had been ringing my doorbell upstairs that I didn't hear because I was down there running trains.

I was going to ask how many people would watch the layout from the window. You answered my question. I wouldn't add any details to the back side of the bridge is they're not going to be seen. Only you will know (along with us) that there are no rivets. I would want to get the bridge installed and have trains running over it. Can't wait to see the photos and video.

Even if everyone looked in that window, I still wouldn't waste my time putting rivets on that side of the bridge! However, this is only me.

I only go by that window on the outside when I'm mowing the grass. Other than that, there has only been one time that I know of when someone looked in that window and that was a friend who had been ringing my doorbell upstairs that I didn't hear because I was down there running trains.

He wasn't looking for a bridge, he was looking for you. Even if he did see the bridge (if he does look again once it's installed), imagine how much more he'll be impressed when he sees it close up without glass and a nice lace frilly curtain in between.

I wonder how many of those large layouts with massive city scenes have buildings those backsides are unfinished?

Greg

He wasn't looking for a bridge, he was looking for you. Even if he did see the bridge (if he does look again once it's installed), imagine how much more he'll be impressed when he sees it close up without glass and a nice lace frilly curtain in between.

Heck, if I put the rivets on the window side, people may just come to look in the window to see the bridge.

I ran out of lattice material today. The last delivery from Plastruct was short by 8 packs of the Open Web Truss beams. I don't know when they will be delivered so progress on the bridge has come to a halt.

Last edited:
Seeing your bridge upside down, you might be just the bloke to do Brisbane's Storey Bridge

No rail on it, but that could be arranged.

Back