Building Mortar Joints

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I found a great way to create good looking mortar joints on plastic structures. First I use Robert's Brick Mortar applied, wet evenly over the structure and I allow it to dry (a film will appear on the brick faces). Then I use a cloth to wipe the remaining residue of the brick faces leaving the joints filled with the Mortar mix.

I let the Robert's Brick Mortar dry for a day or two and then follow up with a light spray or applied with a dropper of India Ink in water for a wash. This will slightly darken the mortar which in real life is actually gray in color. When everything is dry I spray a coat of DullCote on the structure.

The use of the India Ink darkens the mortar and prevents that look of a uneven product applied to the bricks.

Greg

1594400287847.png

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.