Building "Lakeview Depot"

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Morning Guys,

Last night I decided the crappy Plasticville Depot I have wasn't good enough for the "wife's layout", so I started replicating it in wood. This is progress so far:

Platform side:

IMG_0445_zpsb9fddf74.jpg

Road side:

IMG_0446_zpsa9de66d5.jpg

General view:

IMG_0447_zps2510932a.jpg

At the moment it possibly looks out of proportion, height wise but once the roof and eaves go on it should look okay.

Next stage is putting in the platform deck - 2 X 10 lumber.

Thank you Michael and yeah, the idea of scratch building something has definitely gotten my interest. It gives me the chance to work with wood, and to have a "little" of me in the layout instead of using everyone elses work, commercial stuff I mean. It is also is cheaper than buying models or kits, at least cheaper than those models and kits that are detailed and very realistic looking. You can buy a lot of wood and doors and windows for $80 + :)

Tony, Your skills are advancing with each build. Keep it going and you'll end up with a layout of unique structures that you can proudly point to and say - 'I made that!'
Nice work.

Tony, Your skills are advancing with each build. Keep it going and you'll end up with a layout of unique structures that you can proudly point to and say - 'I made that!'
Nice work.

Thank you Gary, amongst other things, I try to do things a little better with each build and maybe, just maybe, I will be able to show off what I have done one day.

You know the real Lakeview station was for sale back in December. Don't know if it is still on the market or not. But maybe you could just buy it, shrink it 87 times and use it on the layout. ;)

http://lakecountyexam.com/former-train-depot-owner-reflects-upon-iconic-buildings-history/

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xYDQBQ&usg=AFQjCNEfwBvy8NSIIHRNGXt7Uy5Jiqq8Pg

There you go, you learn something every day. I didn't know there was an actual station/depot called Lakeview, I only named mine that due to its proximity to the lake on my layout:)

I like your idea though, just wondering how I could shrink the real station though ????? Something to think about :)

Have gotten a little more done to the Depot.

The platform deck has been put in using 2" X 10" lumber. The front and right side wall panels have ha the door and window openings cut out and the panels have been put in place.

The only other thing I have done is locate the end Roof support framing.

Still playing it by ear as to the end result, but I think it is coming along okay and will look a whole lot better when "cleaned up".

The only annoying part of this build was my spending 3 or 4 hours hand cutting the weather boards for the cladding, just to "trip over" a sheet of clap board that sort of looks like weather boards. Oh well, I needed the practice I guess :)

IMG_0450_zps592fee92.jpg

IMG_0451_zps4f7a1dbd.jpg

IMG_0452_zps0ae48b56.jpg

IMG_0453_zps3610e65c.jpg

Michael,

Thank you. I'm still not sure exactly where I am going with this, other than the basic look. It has (loosely) been modeled on a small plasticville depot in terms of platform layout. Actually, that is the only part of the model that I have retained :)

Not sure if I want to do anything with the interior or just leave it blank. The more I look at it, the more I think I need to have a floor and perhaps clad the walls. I just don't want to get overly carried away it. I can't/wont put the rear wall or roof on until I finally decide on that side though.

Next comes the painting of the model and what to paint it. Do I just weather the "weatherboards" or make it up as a newly renovated station? I don't know. I have panted the doors and windows white, but not even that is set in stone.

lasm,

I tend to be a "little heavy handed" at times so what I build has to be able with stand ME, let alone anything else :) Not with standing the materials used, I think my structures, construction wise, are pretty solid.

I am guessing you think that my stuff is "cool" cos there are no windows or doors installed, and they are; therefore, able to capture those fresh lake breezes :)

Thanks A2TwrOpr,

This afternoon, in between doing a truck load of other things, I got a little more done on this. I have put the roof cross members/support beams in, cut and "tacked" the roof sections in place. The front section is going to have to been made a little narrower than it is at the moment.

Also put the floor in, just to be confronted with an oversight on my part. The door way on the right end was cut NOT taking into consideration that the floor will have to be elevated to match the front, and main, entrance door. Basically, the floor runs through the middle of that end door. What I am going to do is "pretend" that some renovations were carried out on the interior of the Depot and that door will no longer be in use and blocked off.

IMG_0454_zps75a2d39f.jpg

IMG_0457_zps967490ca.jpg

This next shot shows the problem with the door V's floor, but also shows the slope opf the roof and how much room I have to insert the "under the eaves" lights. Also keep in mind that the roof sections are only tacked on and will be removed to make the adjustments mentioned.

IMG_0456_zps6f5d9b71.jpg

Just finished putting the under side detail on the roof/veranda in. Granted, the glue detracts from it but that should be covered when I paint it. I got a little bit lazy when putting down the glue :(

IMG_0458_zpse5c3bb3f.jpg

I like your idea though, just wondering how I could shrink the real station though ????? Something to think about :)

1. Salvage a few bits of wood from the original structure.
2. Cut it into stripwood with one of the Dremel table saws.
3. Build model from historic wood.
4. Tell everyone you 'shrank' the original.
:)

alcoman -

Sounds like a plan!

I finally got up the nerve to put a coat of paint on the Depot. It's more an undercoat than anything else:

IMG_0459_zps3377adb0.jpg

IMG_0460_zpsb05f9bd5.jpg

IMG_0461_zps18da1301.jpg

Now for the fun part - anyone pick the very obvious "dumb ass" mistake, one I didn't pickup on until I did paint it?

Well, for the past day or so I have been "refining" some of the Depot, weathering the platform, deciding on the final color (one I skilfully mixed myself - not) and finishing the roof.

Actually, I lie, the roof is not finished at all. Some time ago I bought some of Rusty Stumps Corrugated Iron roofing and decided that would be the best way to go. This product IS actual metal and is very realistic looking, if you like a nice new shiny corrugated roof, which I don't. As such I am now is an area that is a little foreign to me, weathering metal to make it look more realistic.

This afternoon I went out an bought rustoleum primer and a bunch of colored chalk which I understand are an integral part of the weather process. So, where do I go from here? How do I convert my nice shiny roof into a realistic looking weather beaten one?

Just a few shots of what has been achieve, and messed up, over the past few days:

IMG_0446_zps70210b71.jpg

A not so great attempt at weathering the side door roof:

IMG_0447_zpsce9ced61.jpg

Steps up to the platform are in:

IMG_0449_zps9569b2c0.jpg

This shot is mainly for the lighting install. Two small holes drilled through the rood center beams with the LED leads fed up through them. Just need to figure out what to do with the wiring now.

IMG_0448_zps5e6ff3be.jpg

Believe it or not but I actually did finish this; although, it very VERY nearly wound up as nothing more than a million little bits of basswood this afternoon!

So the final analysis of the build ... the issue I had with concealing the wiring was resolved by the insertion of a "false rear wall inside the building and a couple of holes drilled through the floor.

While I am not completely happy with the roof, in terms of a weathered appearance, it didn't turn out too bad for a first attempt. I will admit that it does resemble (with the use of some imagination) some old corrugated iron roof pictures I looked at, albeit mainly Australian pictures of outback structures.

The fencing is Atlas made and I think looks the part. Only issue I have with the "pre-fab" fencing is that you are restricted to the sectional lengths it comes in. I had to cur and "bash" two sections of it to get it to fit in the space it needed to go.

I think the only other thing that I want to do is put on a couple of "crossed" timbers going across the end door signifying that it is no longer in use.

Eventually, I "might" relent and buy one of those "Platform Goose Neck" lights for the platform itself. Jury is still out on that one though.

So the final pictures (I think):

IMG_0451_zps3fc37f29.jpg

IMG_0452_zps6506497e.jpg

That is it then guys, unless anyone can suggest anything to do.

Back