Building an N Scale Tow Truck

The beeswax is an old shipmodeler trick. I think soap or wax would work just as well. Truck is looking good. That plastic assortment should last a long time working in N.

Good tip Rico. I will have to try that.

I disassembled the truck to get ready for paint. Doing some final touch-ups. It should be getting farther along tomorrow and I will post some more pics.

Here is a pic of the terrible coat of paint. I am going to lightly sand it and try a couple thin coats to even things out:
20140214_070605_zpsnbiu19dl.jpg

The beeswax is an old shipmodeler trick. I think soap or wax would work just as well. Truck is looking good. That plastic assortment should last a long time working in N.

Beeswax is much better than soap. Soap has a tendency to dry out. Real beeswax doesn't, but paraffin (wax) being a petroleum product does also dry out. I've always used beeswax.

I started with some chalks. I think I am going to go back and paint the steps black:
20140214_194152_zpspddedfem.jpg

20140214_200206_zpszfbwev98.jpg

20140214_225303_zpssiro8cf7.jpg

Then the pièce de résistance - check out these mud flaps!:
20140214_231419_zps0rtegq3q.jpg

Those mud flaps are just printed and stuck on with elmers. I then touched up the edges with flat black enamel. They really weren't too bad to model at all.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

That (well, ALL of them) turned out really well. I'm envious. I was going to guess decals on the mud flaps, but that's actually a good (and less expensive) idea with just printing them. I'm so used to needing decals to do such things (with all the countours etc that need to be conformed to) that even on a flat surface it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to just print them out and use paper like that.

That's really the best thing about this forum; all the ideas that keep floating around and keep pushing us outside the boxes of the things we're used to doing.

Glad you like them. It is funny, because I never thought of using a decal. I see from the Testors thread Mike that you know a bit about decals. I hope to pick your brain in that thread if you don't mind.

Back