Building a small shinkansen diorama for a close friend WIP

dgrafix

20240105_150452.jpg
20240105_150507.jpg
20240107_121807.jpg
20240111_164605.jpg

1704997857080.png

So far I have got the basic layout down. I am planning to do some water in that depression and have a lightbox backboard with mt fuji backlit.. (or may end up with a photo).
I am going to use one of the Tomix front car museum models (static model) of an N700 nozomi.
The tree was made with one of those Polaroid 3D pens. Im hoping to turn it into a cherry tree.
..to be continued (she has no idea it's coming but she loves Japan lol) 😀👍

Last edited:
Made some progress over the weekend, still need to add more processing to the rocks,( a black wash and white dry brush).
For the pool I'm going to try using resin and just a slither of microfiber as a small waterfall.
Was quite pleased with my little cherry tree too 😁
20240131_131937.jpg
20240131_132404.jpg

Attachments

• 20240131_131937.jpg
    20240131_131937.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 25
Almost ready to start working on the water feature. Anyone any experience with using modpodge glossy on resin? I am hoping it will bond ok. I was thinking to make a kind of greeny blue edges going to dark for depth and then mixing a greeny brown resin for the pour.
Never used resin before so am a bit nervous lol.

Bit more done tonight, did some post paint process on the rocks which I am getting happier with. You can't see it here but the dark area of the "waterfall" (still engineering that lol!) is covered in modpodge gloss to make it look wet.
20240206_000058.jpg

Still totally undecided on the tunnel bricks though, should they be light? Red? Sandstone yellow Or same as rock face?
I want them to stand out... but not too much.. I guess in reality they would be cut from the same stuff as the cliff.. or would they? 😕
Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited:
A lite red portal brick would be just fine.
Natural color matching works fine too.
Either way, your work is impressive.
Thank you :) I will try both and see what i get (the beauty of acrylics lol).
Obviously the train will eventually be the centerpiece but i would like the brickwork to "pop" without exploding so to speak. :D
The rails will have a darker brown wash on them too. I thought i could rely on the primer i used on the foam, but on the metal it seems to have turned into an odd yellow 😆.
...Note to self, "polyestyrene primer no good on metal or gravel".

Last edited:
I made the water with a crystal resin pour and then covered it in modpodge gloss splodges for the waves. The foam is basically
REPEAT:
-a layer of mpodge
-a thin stranding of cotton wool set in podge
-Wait till tacky
- cover with more podge and then wait till dry..
UNTIL satisfied==true 😊

Same for the waterfall, done on some baking paper separately and peeled off & trimmed. Any foam that is too glossy can be treated with some titanium white on a dry brush.

I made the water with a crystal resin pour and then covered it in modpodge gloss splodges for the waves. The foam is basically
REPEAT:
-a layer of mpodge
-a thin stranding of cotton wool set in podge
-Wait till tacky
- cover with more podge and then wait till dry..
UNTIL satisfied==true 😊

Same for the waterfall, done on some baking paper separately and peeled off & trimmed. Any foam that is too glossy can be treated with some titanium white on a dry brush.
Amazing work, I'm sure your friend will be more than happy with it.

Almost ready to start working on the water feature. Anyone any experience with using modpodge glossy on resin? I am hoping it will bond ok. I was thinking to make a kind of greeny blue edges going to dark for depth and then mixing a greeny brown resin for the pour.
Never used resin before so am a bit nervous lol.
I understand that mod-page is a much loved item, so hopefully it works, never done resin so cannot advise their either, so I will watch you :)

Will need to trim it a bit when the modge is dry, but am liking the result so far 😁
Still don't know what colour to do the bricks though 🤨
View attachment 183216
The tunnel ‘bricks’ are very likely to be shaped stone, a light rad could be sand stone a common enough stone, BUT can wear out, O would expect a granite much harder wearing to be more likely, so a grey. That said look at tunnels and find what colours would be correct then choose, a light red would certainly look nice,

The tunnel ‘bricks’ are very likely to be shaped stone, a light rad could be sand stone a common enough stone, BUT can wear out, O would expect a granite much harder wearing to be more likely, so a grey. That said look at tunnels and find what colours would be correct then choose, a light red would certainly look nice,
Might try something like this..

Attachments

• IMG-20240309-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240309-WA0001.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 23

Back