Building a Modern Diesel Wrecked Engine

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Many people have asked me how I create some of the wrecked engines I do, so I'm going to do an article on it. I try to go buy a real RR wreck and duplicate it. I do use a lot of modelers licence when I build these wrecks, so not everything is exactly perfect or prototypical. Here's the picture of this project.
BNSF_7305_WRECKED_FIRE_DAMAGEjpg.jpg

Now I know that there is other pictures of this engine showing damage on the other side, but I usually only do one side. So lets get started.

OK, here an Athearn Blue Box SD-40-2 in the BNSF Heritage I paint scheme that I started with.
100_1690.jpg

This picture is the basic disassembly. Unit #7305 has the awnings behind the cab, so that will be added. Also, as part of the accident, the right side air tank was knocked off.
100_1693.jpg

Now we come to the fun part, distruction!!! As you can see from the picture, the fuel tank has major damage to it. The easiest way I have come up with to make this damaged tank is to cut off the side your doing. I have done this 2 different ways, grinding and plasma cutter. If you have access to a plasma cutter or someone that has one, I highly recommend that way.
Grinding takes at least half an hour, the plasma cutter took 30 seconds and made some great damaged marks on the inside of the tank. Here's the right side of the tank cut off.
100_1694.jpg

After removing the tank half, I ground it down to smooth the edges.
100_1695.jpg

To remake the tank, I use an aluminum tape. It can be found at Lowes or Home Depot etc. It's used for taping metal duct together. One side of it is super sticky and works really good. Cut it and shape it to make it the shape of the original tank.
100_1698.jpg

The next step will be to cut up the tank to match the prototype pictures damage. That will be in the next installment.

Back