Buildin' Buildings

RIGuyUK

Hi All

After a bit of a hiatus from posting due to concentrating on home improvements, I've been able to turn my attention back to my layout.

The layout is to be a switching yard, set in amongst various warehouses, as part of a larger industrial area.

The first structure is a modified Walthers Hardwood Furniture Factory kit (I think!) Using some bashed kit parts I got to this stage...

PXL_20230512_151321149.jpg

Then, copying the basic structure frame pattern, I drew up the 'concrete' frame for the rear of the building and cut it out on my Cricut Maker cutter...

PXL_20230512_151325015.jpg

I glued this on to a piece of 5mm foamcore which will represent the voids between the frames being concreted up...

PXL_20230512_191659222.jpg

Here are a couple of views of the rear of the building resting in place...

PXL_20230512_192247790.jpg

PXL_20230512_192253990.MP.jpg

My reasoning is that the rear of the building is hidden from the public so is very plain compared to the ornate frontage!

The rear wall is warped slightly so I've glued on some strips of 1/4" x 1/2" wood strip, covered with a sheet of glass and weighted down to dry overnight...

PXL_20230512_192733276.jpg

PXL_20230512_193651777.jpg

Hopefully I'll pick up again tomorrow and add the end and small from walls which will just be plain foamboard as these are right on the layout edge.

I've added the back and side to the building, and started on another...

This one will be low relief against the backscene and part of the factory complex as per the first building in my original post. I've used the same Walthers Hardwood Furniture Factory parts, creating a longer façade by joining 2 parts together...

PXL_20230516_163235390.jpg

The join is 3 bays in from the right, there are some gaps that I'll fill before painting. This was strengthened from behind with 1mm styrene strips...

PXL_20230516_163246661.jpg

I wanted to represent a change from the original design of my imaginary world building, so blocked off and bricked up the entrance and 2 loading bays, Firstly blocking off the openings with 1mm styrene from behind, along with bricking up the basement windows...

PXL_20230516_203846476.jpg

Then laying in embossed brick (Slaters)...

PXL_20230516_203859145.jpg

I've also added corner pillars from the same kit to each end. I used Mr Hobby Mr Cement Deluxe glue on this structure

I think this little change adds a bit more character to the structure. I got the idea to modify this building from The Pixel Depot YouTube Channel

A further update today.

I decided the blank panelled wall in the first post was too plain, so I added a loading dock and 2 loading doors to it...

PXL_20230521_115127091.jpg

Its far from perfect but add a purpose to it. The brickwork is to represent a brick repair to the concrete column.

PXL_20230521_115323526.jpg

As you can see in the picture above, the building sits on 5mm foamcore. I laid this to Excess Height cars could fit into the covered loading bay, however with the siding on the right now being a viable destination on the layout, I removed the edge of the foamcore, dropping the building back down so that any Excess Height car will have to be serviced at the left had loading bay, adding some operational interest.

I plan to fit a basic interior to each floor of the building in due course but first I must finish the capping on top of the walls, and I'll be adding some sort of link bridge to the building on the left.

Further progress the past couple of days...

PXL_20230523_202537207.jpg

I opened up the window opening (in the middle of the pic) to the dimensions of the link bridge, and added a strip of styrene to represent a concrete plinth. I also have done the same in the other building.

PXL_20230523_202516877.jpg

This is the link bridge under construction, made from I-beam styrene girders with corrugated styrene for the sides, and internal spacers and floor from 2mm foamcore. The windows and roof are still to be fitted. The internal spacers are hollowed out to allowing light to pass through as I'll be adding lights to all the structures.

IMG-20230523-WA0159.jpeg

This is a very rough mock-up of how it will look when installed on the layout. I may add I-beam girder supports mid way

Further progress the past couple of days...

View attachment 168982

I opened up the window opening (in the middle of the pic) to the dimensions of the link bridge, and added a strip of styrene to represent a concrete plinth. I also have done the same in the other building.

View attachment 168981

This is the link bridge under construction, made from I-beam styrene girders with corrugated styrene for the sides, and internal spacers and floor from 2mm foamcore. The windows and roof are still to be fitted. The internal spacers are hollowed out to allowing light to pass through as I'll be adding lights to all the structures.

View attachment 168983

This is a very rough mock-up of how it will look when installed on the layout. I may add I-beam girder supports mid way
Thats going to look great. Nice addition.

Back