Bridge Kit Assembly

rfxcasey

I just received a 3 bridges in the mail
productimages%5Cclearance%5C101-2.jpg

The sides don't snap together and won't stay put by themselves so they need to be glued or epoxied. What are the details of the standard practices used for this type of structure?

I will be combining all 3 of these bridges supported by pillars to span a large expanse just like this
bridge1.jpg

I will be enclosing the tops in probably using painted wood to create the overhead steel beams. Any ideas of the best course to follow?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the top cross members I would use the same material as the main bridge so that a common glue could be used.

If plastic, depending on the type of plastic, a cyanoacrylate (“super glue”) would work but if it is styrene, a solvent (MEK or similar) would be the best solution.

I would bet styrene. If it isn't styrene, then a MEK or solvent based adhesive won't do anything to it.

Use some on a scrap piece (a runner or sprue) and see if the solvent "melts" it. If it softens it or melts it then it is the right stuff. The idea is that the solvent melts the plastic and as the solvent dissipates the plastics re-solidify together making a very strong bond.

Most model plastic cements are actually a type of solvent that partially melts the plastics which bonds them together. This can also damage the model.

I'd second the recommendations to use a "super glue", and I really love to use a glue called Zap-A-Gap. Be careful with it though, a little goes a long way and you'll want to protect your eyes.

OK. well I super glued them up real good, or at least I hope. I'm gonna start posting pictures as I go so you can all have a good laugh at my complete lack of experience.

Micro Engineering sells bags of girders for bridge building that can be used. They have great details and look just like the cross supports on the top of the bridge in the photo you posted. I'm not able to find the product I'm thinking of on the web right now but I know they sell the bags of girders or they did because I have some.

Dave

Micro Engineering sells bags of girders for bridge building that can be used. They have great details and look just like the cross supports on the top of the bridge in the photo you posted. I'm not able to find the product I'm thinking of on the web right now but I know they sell the bags of girders or they did because I have some.

Dave

Oh so what you are saying is you can GIVE me some of your.:D

Back