Bridge help

Habbyguy

So need a curved bridge on my layout.
IMG_0858.jpg

And want to do this kind of bridge.
070924_austinist_ronpaul.jpg

Does anyone know how high to make the walls? And should I do a one piece curved bridge or two straight bridges? There will be something to support the middle.

Thanks

I'd start with two Atlas plate girder bridges and then widen them to accept the curve. (with styrene)
An alternative is a sheet of styrene with plate girder sides added.
Then there's always the trestle route if that fails...
It looks like one track will go underneath, or two maybe?

There is a prototype here in Roanoke that is what Rico is describing over an intersection.
I can get some pictures if you would like?

Central Valley makes some great kits. Use regular "plastic" glue (the liquid type you brush on...better than the stuff in the tubes). Just be careful when handling it, and wait for the parts to be well bonded before you handle them.

Here's one I built several years ago....

The way a railroad makes a curved bridge is a series of short straight bridges. Even worse you want a through girder bridge which means the bridge has to be wider still to clear swingout on cars and locomotives.

What you want is one straight girder on the inside set to clear on the ends of the bridge and one longer straight girder set to clear at the middle of the bridge. So the outside girder will be several inches longer than the inside girder.

The alternative is to build a deck girder bridge, that is as wide as the width of the curved track and the curved track is across the top of it.

Back